Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Yesterday is was riding, and after 80 km(about 58 miles i guess) my fuel light went on. Isn't that way to quick? I wasn't hanging on the throttle more then usual. Normally my fuel light goes on after 130 km(still way to soon and annoying because when i fill it up there goes about 8 or 9 litres in the tank).

Does the gen 1 zx10r use that much fuel?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
The factory fuel light for me usually pops on around the 3 gallon used mark, meaning there is still 1.5 gallons in the tank. Seems early, but I kinda like the early warning on it. What mods have you done to your bike so we can get a sense as to what could be causing it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine gets 140 miles before the light comes on and that is at grandpa speed and below 4k rpms. If i rip on it i have seen as little as 85 miles miles but normally around 95-126 before i need some fuel. Also since i installed ivans TRE and removed secondaries it lost like 4 miles to the gallon but i don't care as long as i know where im spending the money! My Vstrom dl1000 does about 135 miles before it starts flashing at me. my 1253cc v-twin pops on at 125 miles also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
check and make sure your hoses are not leaking especially if you have done any mods lately under the tank. make sure your air filter is clean. and thats pretty much it. theres no where for gas to go unless your shooting it out the tailpipe because it isnt getting burned in a cylinder.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi folks,

Yesterday is was riding, and after 80 km(about 58 miles i guess) my fuel light went on. Isn't that way to quick? I wasn't hanging on the throttle more then usual. Normally my fuel light goes on after 130 km(still way to soon and annoying because when i fill it up there goes about 8 or 9 litres in the tank).

Does the gen 1 zx10r use that much fuel?
dont sound right. mines tuned up mainly for the track and nordschleife and i,l get about 65-70 on a full tank with high revs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHoops, just forgot that last i time didn't refuel all the way:mrgreen: , stupid me. That explains a lot.

But..........almost every time it comes up after 80 miles, with a little bit sporty riding. The latest moment i refueled was after 120 miles. How big is the tank actually?. I hate doing so many tank stops, but i'm scared of running out of petrol. On my 99 R1 my fuel light came on after 120 or more miles or so with sporty riding. Gave me more trust. And i really ripped the gas on that R1, on the zx10r far from that.

I still have to check the air filter though, don't know in what condition it is(bought the bike in the winter, just got it a couple of cold months).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont sound right. mines tuned up mainly for the track and nordschleife and i,l get about 65-70 on a full tank with high revs
Ah the Nordschleife, can't wait to get back there. :smile:
Here's my last lap on it with my previous bike, crashed it last year(also on my youtube lol )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts