Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2005 ZX-10R
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Updated shot - radiator guard mounted, calipers mounted and discs cleaned up, braided lines front and rear, renthal grips, suspension dialed (at least for stock).

Runs like a top (it should with only 1500 miles on the clock)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Was your first gen 1 missing the secondary throttle body valves by any chance?

No my bike Titanium originally had only a Yosh slip on with the butterfly intact. Later on I had it dyno tuned at Bazzazz headquarters in Chino, CA with a full stainless Yosh tri-oval system and it smoothed the snatchy driveline lash, but without much overall power increase. In addition it removed the butterfly valves.

My current bike has the butterfly intact and only sports a L.O.R. slip on (Level 1 Racing) and Sprint Racing air filter.

Keeping this Kawi green for mostly tracking.

· Registered
412 Posts
Just finished rebuilding my bike after 5 months. It's been a journey. Amongst a million other fixes, mods and improvements I've installed the new gear postion sensor. Today I went for the first ride in 5 months. The new sensor works flawlessy with the Healtech gipro atre g2.

I don't know how it's possible to be fair:
this is a comparison between an old gen 1 (bottom) and gen 2-3 sensor (top)
Gas Audio equipment Auto part Machine Blow torch

The gen 2-3 sensor has a ground circle in the middle and the gen1 does not.

I followed this video:
Hand Insect Finger Eyewear Wrist

I installed the gen 2-3 sensor on the gen 1 harness and placed a steel bearing ball in the middle of the shift drum to make contact with the ground as suggested in the video.
This is a gen 3 part scheme. Notice that the copper pin and spring goes both in the middle of the shift drum and on the outside hole too. The bearing ball should act as the middle pin.
Font Auto part Parallel Drawing Engineering

The result? My sensor was all over the place. The bike had no clue what gear she was in. Even had trouble starting the bike without the clutch because she though she was in 1st despite being in neutral.

That's when I bought the revised 131510031 gen 1 sensor. I also bought another pin and spring to put in the middle and I talked with the local kawi mechanic that at the time was doing another job for me and he agreed that I needed a pin in the middle of the shiftdrum to make contact with the ground.

Well the time comes when I install the new sensor and low and behold the gen1 shift drum has a small hole in the middle, but you can't sit the spring+pin in there, not even the pin alone. So I thought "fuc# it" and I just installed the revised gen 1 sensor with a spring+pin on the outside hole of the shift drum and nothing in the middle, just like the original gen 1 configuration.
Product Font Line Motor vehicle Parallel

The result is that the gear readings on the gear indicator are spot on. Flawless.
This is the gen1 new indicator. Highly recommended. Direct swap with the original without needing to fiddle around in any way shape or form.
White Material property Font Gas Electric blue

EDIT:
Follow-up a few months later. The revised gen 1 sensor started reading wrong a week after the install.

Definitive solution: Install the gen 1 revised sensor product code 131510031 + steel bearing ball in the middle of the shiftdrum. Run the learning procedure on the gipro. The gear indicator has been working perfectly now for months.

· Registered
412 Posts
What year S1000RR did you have? I love my gen 1 but I must admit that I have a soft spot for recent S1000RRs and I'd like to try one. VVT, sick looking dash, alluminum tank, standard blipper, slick looks, etc, the S1000 seems like a dream of a bike.

· Registered
2005 ZX-10R
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I had a '21 - actually think the Gen 1 is more exciting to ride. I do like the look of the '23 refresh though

Best looking bike is still the Ducati V4S in my book, but tor the street it's massive overkill

· Registered
412 Posts
I had a '21 - actually think the Gen 1 is more exciting to ride. I do like the look of the '23 refresh though

Best looking bike is still the Ducati V4S in my book, but tor the street it's massive overkill
Not to mention the price of the price of the V4S.

I remember watching a lot of reviews on youtube that said that the current gen S1000RR at the moment is the ultimate street/track bike and the only downside to it is it lacks a bit of character which you seem to comfirm. Would love to try riding one myself and see how it feels. I've sat on a '18 s1000rr and was surprised by how big it felt compared to the gen 1 zx10r which is a downside in my book but the seat was really low and easy to flat foot the bike, so overall it inspired confidence. Did not get to ride it though.

Did you get rid of the bmw or you still have it and ride it?

· Registered
2005 ZX-10R
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I sold it - overall I have nothing bad to say about it (after Bren flash to get rid of midrange dead spot). Very smooth, almost synthetic feeling powerband, goes ballistic above 11k rpm, some plastic parts on the bike give it kind of a cheap feel, quick shifter is great, brakes were decent (the upgrade on my ZX-10 feel as good or better) but overall I just prefer the older bikes without all the electronic aids. I may change my mind again because I rarely keep a bike more than 5 years but the Gen 1 ZX-10R is such a classic and I only have $6k into it so will probably keep it a long time

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, money was not the reason I sold the S1000RR (paid cash for it), it was strictly because I lost interest riding it, some reliability issues were reported (wrist pin failures if I recall correctly, plus clunking front front forks and leaking front calipers) and I wanted something different

· Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,197 Posts
Not true, plus the indicator also has a atre mod option available. No need to replace the sensor just gotta go through and calibrate. It's usually dead nuts on, with the timing retardation eliminate shit it's supposed to allow it to run like it's always in 6th or some shit. Been so many years, just one of shit tons of mods a gen 1 works well with

41 - 52 of 52 Posts