Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2005 ZX-10R
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted a Gen 1, still the best looking ZX-10R imo, and I love the raw feel of it. Owned a Gen 2 (2007 blue) many years ago.

This is a 2005 with only 1300 (!) miles from dealer in GA. Apparently the original owner was in military overseas and barely rode it, then let it sit for many years. Gas tank was rusted (cleaned and professionally re-coated with Red Kote), fuel pump was gummed up (replaced), injectors weren't flowing well, and secondary throttle plates weren't plugged in for some reason (!)...so I had my work cut out for me, knowing nothing about these bikes, but's she's running awesome now and pulls like an animal. Already has 41 tooth rear sprocket and smog pump block off plates installed. Exhaust valve still works. I'm leaving it plugged in - seems to have a bit more low end.

It took me almost two months to get it running right but worth the effort. $6k OTD, and dealer (Freedom Powersports) was kind enough to reimburse me for tank coating, new fuel pump, and injector cleaning.

Automotive parking light Plant Tire Wheel Automotive lighting

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Great find! Congrats!

My 2005 Flat Titanium never pulled as hard as some of the other Gen 1's in my area.. weird. Not that it wasn't enough to get up and go, on no! But it just didn't quite have that grunt that some friends' bikes did, back then.

Fast forward 15 years, that bike long sold, and I stumbled upon a 2005 Kawi green Gen 1 in Santa Barbara (CA)! I snatched it up, and it was only lightly modded. Most importantly, it had that bottom end torque that everyone talked about! I love it all over again!

Stay well!

· Registered
423 Posts
Great find! Congrats!

My 2005 Flat Titanium never pulled as hard as some of the other Gen 1's in my area.. weird. Not that it wasn't enough to get up and go, on no! But it just didn't quite have that grunt that some friends' bikes did, back then.

Fast forward 15 years, that bike long sold, and I stumbled upon a 2005 Kawi green Gen 1 in Santa Barbara (CA)! I snatched it up, and it was only lightly modded. Most importantly, it had that bottom end torque that everyone talked about! I love it all over again!

Stay well!
Was your first gen 1 missing the secondary throttle body valves by any chance?

· Registered
2005 ZX-10R
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fast forward 15 years, that bike long sold, and I stumbled upon a 2005 Kawi green Gen 1 in Santa Barbara (CA)! I snatched it up, and it was only lightly modded. Most importantly, it had that bottom end torque that everyone talked about! I love it all over again! Stay well!
Thanks - do you still have your exhaust valve plugged in? It may be (in part) the rear sprocket but I'm very impressed with the low end and midrange on this bike, and I'm coming from a 2021 S1000RR

Was your first gen 1 missing the secondary throttle body valves by any chance?
No they are there - some idiot forgot to plug in the servo motor (after they installed the block off plates) and it was throwing code 62

1 - 20 of 52 Posts