Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scratching my head on this one, any suspension experts?
I put some Carrozzeria wheels on. Did other mods to the bike to make it lighter as she is a dedicated race bike (race battery, race fairings...) and now she doesn't feel as nice on the track as before.
The fact that the unsprung weight is now less, does this imply more/less compression, more/less rebound?
:dontknow:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Reducing weight, especially unspung weight is going to require some adjustments. But you really need to descibe what your are feeling. It could just be the reduction of rotaional wieght reducing the gyroscopic effect of the wheels. Does it feel "squirely"...less stable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reducing weight, especially unspung weight is going to require some adjustments. But you really need to descibe what your are feeling. It could just be the reduction of rotaional wieght reducing the gyroscopic effect of the wheels. Does it feel "squirely"...less stable?
Yes, I would say squirely is what it feels like. In longer sweeping (medium to fast speed turns) it feels "squirely" over small bumps that were not an issue before...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I will give it a try.

When you reduce the unsprung weight, you MUST do changes in your hydraulics setup. the simple reason is inertia. when you hit a bump, the wheel goes up and the spring pushes back on it with a certain force. As the wheel has less inertia, it's easier for the spring to push it back to the ground. I would suggest to remove some of the compression damping (to let the wheel travel as far as before as the spring has less hydraulic support) and add some rebound damping (to slow the lighter wheel as it goes back to its original place as the spring is stonger relatively to an heavier wheel).

Does it make sense?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I will give it a try.

When you reduce the unsprung weight, you MUST do changes in your hydraulics setup. the simple reason is inertia. when you hit a bump, the wheel goes up and the spring pushes back on it with a certain force. As the wheel has less inertia, it's easier for the spring to push it back to the ground. I would suggest to remove some of the compression damping (to let the wheel travel as far as before as the spring has less hydraulic support) and add some rebound damping (to slow the lighter wheel as it goes back to its original place as the spring is stonger relatively to an heavier wheel).

Does it make sense?

Im no expert or even close on suspension, but that sounds right to me according to my understanding in physics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will give it a try.

Does it make sense?
Yup Fred-R, That totally makes sense. I'll try this out as soon as I can.
Thanks!:smile:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yeah my bike feels unstable as hell with magnesium marchesini 16.5s. It's not a geometry change either, the tires are damn near identical in height as the 17s.

My local club banned them so I didn't bother using them any where else either. I never had a chance to sort through the issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts