Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I have an Australian Gen 1 with a damaged speedo cluster & the lcd section is unreadable.

I have tried for 3 months to source one here in Oz but its looking grim. Seems like ebay Us & Uk is the way to go.

Does anyone know if a US or Euro spec speedo would connect & work as normal? We have the immobilizer ignition system here same as the Euro models & I've noticed Us spec clusters have US stamped on the back which leads me to think they might not adapt??

Any suggestions?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
For a 1st Gen the Kawi Manual makes NO notice there is a difference....both can be programed for MPH or KPH as well.

bloo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just noticed on ebay that the US spec speedo display does not have the key symbol warning light that flashes when the ignition immobilizer is on.

This is positioned directly opposite the low fuel warning light on the Euro & Australian spec clusters.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke to my local dealer today & he could'nt tell me if a US spec cluster would work without problems on my bike.
He did hint that a euro spec is probably the better way to go due to the ignition cut off & then suggested if I buy a new cluster from him he would do me a good deal.

Cost = $1150 'ca-chinnng'!! :spit:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Just noticed on ebay that the US spec speedo display does not have the key symbol warning light that flashes when the ignition immobilizer is on.

This is positioned directly opposite the low fuel warning light on the Euro & Australian spec clusters.
Do you mean the FI light?

I also think the speedos should be the same, they can be programmed km/miles and C/F.

·
Registered
825 Posts
On the Aust models we have an Immobiliser as standard equipment.On the Gen 3 there is a flashing red light on the r/h side of the cluster down the bottom(directly opposite the low fuel light).Not sure about the Gen 1.I'd imagine it to be in the same spot.
Mine starts flashing as soon as you turn the key off.Also there is a flashing image of a key on the screen.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
On the Aust models we have an Immobiliser as standard equipment.On the Gen 3 there is a flashing red light on the r/h side of the cluster down the bottom(directly opposite the low fuel light).Not sure about the Gen 1.I'd imagine it to be in the same spot.
Mine starts flashing as soon as you turn the key off.Also there is a flashing image of a key on the screen.
Yeah man i remember something about a key image but couldn't find it on the manual...Need to recheck

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
The North American spec cluster doesn't have the flashing immobilizer LED ... but the factory service manual makes absolutely no mention of it, either. It's probably not essential for the function of the immobilizer system - but there's not really any way to know that. Some of these security-related systems are deliberately not fully documented.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Good idea! I will disconnect the cluster & try to start it
I'll bet you a Dollar it will start :cool: if your not worried about the extra LED light on the Euro Cluster I would say your good to go on Ebay US spec Cluster.

bloo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes you were correct!

I disconnected the cluster & the bike still started so the immobiliser did'nt kick in at all

Anyone who has a gen 1 cluster for sale please pm me - Prefer a Euro/Oz spec with the key symbol but will consider US spec also. - up to 10K miles or 15K kms

thanks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
also moving this thread to the 'Performance and Tech' section for better searches for other members in the future.

bloo

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The immobilizer unit (red) is a separate 2wire circuit from the keylock and gauge.
Connects to the amplifier inside the upper left fairing. The circuit closes with the ECU,w hich starts the bike, if the key algorithms match.

Just to have the complete info in this thread...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes you were correct!
Anyone who has a gen 1 cluster for sale please pm me - Prefer a Euro/Oz spec with the key symbol but will consider US spec also. - up to 10K miles or 15K kms

thanks
I have a spare set here in Germany (came off a UK bike). Fully functional, just has a slightly scuffed casing.
PM on the way :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts