Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a stock Gen 1 with 3,400 miles. Seems super slow to "spool up" when the throttle is opened both in neutral and on the road. No flat spot or hiccup, throttle/cables operate smoothly, no intake or exhaust blockage... you just open the throttle and the revs take their sweet time catching up.

Is this normal? If so, what can I do about it? Don't want an aftermarket exhaust I have to refuel for so... maybe a K&N filter, slip on??

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Gen1 are geared tall from factory dropin tooth on front sprocket will help.
I am thinking there is something else going on we need more information like have you ran against other bikes and they are out accelerating you easy? your last bike you owned? Is your bike stock wheelbase? what RPMs are you getting up to on a ride?

I remember a member not long ago got a first Gen almost the same complaint I knew he had a mechanical problem because if his bike was running fine he wouldn't even be able to keep the front end down the RPMs will spool up so fast you better be ready for a wild ride. I was right I forget the cure I think it was fuel pump or something like that but after the fix it was a completely new bike to him. :wink:

OP give more details maybe we can help. :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking there is something else going on we need more information like have you ran against other bikes and they are out accelerating you easy? your last bike you owned? Is your bike stock wheelbase? what RPMs are you getting up to on a ride?

I remember a member not long ago got a first Gen almost the same complaint I knew he had a mechanical problem because if his bike was running fine he wouldn't even be able to keep the front end down the RPMs will spool up so fast you better be ready for a wild ride. I was right I forget the cure I think it was fuel pump or something like that but after the fix it was a completely new bike to him. :wink:

OP give more details maybe we can help. :wink:

Bloo
Hey Bloo, thanks that is what I am thinking too. Its stock and I am red lining it. I got it to wheely... it just seems sluggish off idle unlike my my 07 CBR1000RR. I expected it to pull my arms off :thumbsup:

Anyway... I put fresh high test in with some injector cleaner and sprayed the exhaust valve and cables (05 with 3400 miles so stuff is sticky). I think its better but cant test it till I put it all back together :). I will report back. Thanks!

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Does it still have the butterfly valve in the exhaust? You may turn your key on with your rear seat and middle plastic piece off and make sure the servo cycles properly.

Edit: Just saw your post where you cleaned it all. Let us know how that goes. I know before I put a TRE on my 1st gen, it wouldn't even spin the tire below 6k rpm's even in the rain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's one other HUGE factor that goes into figuring the proper gearing than just dropping 1 up front and adding one to the rear etc, ALL tire manufactures seem to have their own idea what a specific tire size equates to.. We aren't going to even take the width as a factor for this since it won't effect gearing. However there's a number all racers relate to that's called the roll out of a tire. What's the circumference of the tire. If you in theory cut the tire and laid it flat on the ground how many linear feet would it cover? That's roll out. It's measured by wrapping a tape measure around the tire at the tallest point ( center ) As an example Pilot Powers are always very small and there for they lower your gearing and Pirelli tires are for some reason always the tallest... So installing a Pirelli rear tire will require the addition of about 2 additional teeth on the rear to maintain the same gearing as you had if say you swapped from a Bridgestone tire.. Bridgestone seems to fall in the middle most times I've checked... But if you swap from say a Pilot to a Pirelli you would really feel a sluggish bike under you..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does it still have the butterfly valve in the exhaust? You may turn your key on with your rear seat and middle plastic piece off and make sure the servo cycles properly.

Edit: Just saw your post where you cleaned it all. Let us know how that goes. I know before I put a TRE on my 1st gen, it wouldn't even spin the tire below 6k rpm's even in the rain.
What's a TRE?

Cleaning the cables, servo, and butterfly did the trick. It runs as it should albeit very high geared as you have all said. I have been digging on a separate post for a gearing chart showing the ratio of various front and rear tooth combos. I want it to power wheely in 2nd and rise over pavement dips in 3rd like my twin used to :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's one other HUGE factor that goes into figuring the proper gearing than just dropping 1 up front and adding one to the rear etc, ALL tire manufactures seem to have their own idea what a specific tire size equates to.. We aren't going to even take the width as a factor for this since it won't effect gearing. However there's a number all racers relate to that's called the roll out of a tire. What's the circumference of the tire. If you in theory cut the tire and laid it flat on the ground how many linear feet would it cover? That's roll out. It's measured by wrapping a tape measure around the tire at the tallest point ( center ) As an example Pilot Powers are always very small and there for they lower your gearing and Pirelli tires are for some reason always the tallest... So installing a Pirelli rear tire will require the addition of about 2 additional teeth on the rear to maintain the same gearing as you had if say you swapped from a Bridgestone tire.. Bridgestone seems to fall in the middle most times I've checked... But if you swap from say a Pilot to a Pirelli you would really feel a sluggish bike under you..
Wow thats so obvious but not something you typically think of (accept when I used to race). It has Bridgestones but will be putting Pilot 3 or 4 on the new aluminum rims. Love those tires! They stick great and last forever.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
What's a TRE?

Cleaning the cables, servo, and butterfly did the trick. It runs as it should albeit very high geared as you have all said. I have been digging on a separate post for a gearing chart showing the ratio of various front and rear tooth combos. I want it to power wheely in 2nd and rise over pavement dips in 3rd like my twin used to :thumbsup:

A TRE is a timing retard eliminator. A lot of guys say it doesn't work but from personal experience it made a difference on my bike.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
I would think it is a fuel issue. Pretty low miles, so I am thinking it sat for a very long time between rides. If the previous owner didn't put any fuel stabilizer in it or properly drain the tank before storing it there could be some nasty gunk in there hindering fuel delivery. A gen1 should have very quick throttle response. Especially after 3k~4k rpms. Should be like going to a jump to warp speed!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay guys I am changing my problem to soft throttle response below 5k RPM.

Everything works fine, its just super soft below 5k. I have seen the following... curious which one really works.
1. rotate sub throttle sensor
2. And/or ivans timing retard eliminator
3. and/or pc3

I am not looking for MORE horsepower... I just want the f-ing thing to GO when I twist the throttle ;). So looking to do the LEAST amount of mods possible.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Okay guys I am changing my problem to soft throttle response below 5k RPM.

Everything works fine, its just super soft below 5k. I have seen the following... curious which one really works.
1. rotate sub throttle sensor
2. And/or ivans timing retard eliminator
3. and/or pc3

I am not looking for MORE horsepower... I just want the f-ing thing to GO when I twist the throttle ;). So looking to do the LEAST amount of mods possible.
Try the rifleman insert before you spend allot on other mods.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Mr. Moto - Those throttle cams just "pull the throttle cable with less twist of the wrist" don't they?

That wouldn't solve the soft response. Unless I am missing something.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
The throttle should respond faster with the insert. It won't help get power below 5k though. Nothing will help that on a gen 1... As far as I know anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just spoke to Ivan's and he confirms there is nothing you can do to change the soft response below 5k RPM as it is caused by cam intake.

I just saved a bunch of time and money messing with TRE's, throttle sensors, and PC3's.

A little sad though... I did want to experiment :banana-metal:

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Just did a web search for this and nothing comes up but forums. Where can I get one?
You buy it here on this site from rifleman. Look him up on here and pm him. I think it's 30 bucks for the insert. There is a full write up on here how to install as well. Not hard to do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts