Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 04 zx-10r for years now and that bike is practically the love of my life (haha) and now most recently i just bought a gen 5 zx-10r. Why does the gen 5 feel so sluggish compared to my gen 1. The feel of raw power just isnt there especially in the launch. What modifications is everyone doing to there gen 5's?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My gen 1 seems so much smaller and more nimble almost like a 600, The gen 5 seems bulky but the handling is so much smoother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also just purchased a '16 ZX10R and I'll be the first to admit the engine probably has the softest low-end of all literbikes I've ridden. I think a good deal of this has to do with the extremely tall 1st gear, but I believe the engine is a little soft as well and doesn't have the greatest fueling down low.

For any Gen 4 or Gen 5, I believe the most bang for your buck would be to flashtune the ECU and unlock an extra easy 10+hp with no other modifications and it will help bring back some of that low end and give you a healthy boost in the mid, and a very healthy bump up top. This bike really needs to be wound out!

Otherwise, I think the handling could be partly to blame. The front end is incredible and the bike tracks very smoothly yet quickly, but also very stable.

You could try dropping a tooth in the front sprocket (-1) or going up in the rear (+2) or both if you want a substantial change. Note your top speed and cruising RPM's will change however.

·
Registered
42 Posts
put an exhaust on and flash it. it will wake it right up.
I thought the same thing when I bought my 2018 coming from my 05, but as soon as I put on a graves cat eliminator and flashed a map onto it it's way the hell faster down low

·
Registered
127 Posts
My gen 1 seems so much smaller and more nimble almost like a 600, The gen 5 seems bulky but the handling is so much smoother.
I totally agree, & recently noted the same thing on another post. I took my buddy’s Gen 4/‘12 around the block, and I was surprised how big & bulky she felt. Planted as solid as an oak though, and smooth as silk in all transitions & feedback.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts