Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 ZX10r, I purchased at around 11,000 miles now at 13,000. So far only basic maintenance has been performed. Recently it started to develop a rougher than usual idle and when taking off in 1st gear I was having to give it more throttle than normal to keep it form stalling. However, on that ride it was super cold out at the bike was running about 140 degrees so I attributed it to that and didn't think anymore of it. Few days later I went on another ride and the idle and low end rpm (Below 3k) was noticeably worse, above 3k rpm's the bike ran as normal. At this point I was concerned I had gotten some bad gas or something, that doesn't make much sense in hindsight, but ya know what they say. So, I went on another ride a few days later and the bike was acting the same but hadn't gotten any worse, that is until I was almost home. I was riding through some twisties at moderate speeds and while engine braking the bike sounded like a lawn mower as if it had dropped a cylinder or maybe 2. when accelerating it would sputter (Still sounding like a lawn mower) then all of a sudden it would pick the cylinder back up (Assuming that is actually what was happening) and run and sound normal. It would do this in every gear, limped it home and began researching.The idle is even worse and is definitely missing. Any ideas on diagnosing the issues?

I just bought new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, & coils. Aside from the spark plugs, I am still waiting on the other stuff to arrive. I pulled the fuel pump and there was a lot of contaminants in the fuel tank, pump, and filter. Im curious if contaminants have made it past the filter into the fuel rail/injector and if that could be causing my issue, also the air filter was in awful shape. Are there any sensors/other parts I should consider replacing while the bike is apart?

2nd issue, Ive followed the write up on here on how to change the spark plugs. the only issue I have now is I can't get the 2 12mm bolts out of the under mount that is above the motor mounts. There isn't enough room to use a socket and ratchet so I'm having to use a wrench. Even with using a breaker bar I am unable to get them to budge. To make matters worse the bolt head is starting to round off. What a pain in the ass just to change the spark plugs. I can get coil/plugs 2 & 3 but can not get 1 & 2 without removing these bolts. Any ideas? I'm thinking of using a torch next to heat it up, maybe there's locktite on them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like whoever did the work before uses super saiyan strength or just used an impact when they shouldn't have, or something internal got dislodged or stuck where it doesnt need to be tightening things up a bit. Drop the motor if need be.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
Sorry no one responded sooner.

The hesitation sounds fuel related. If the filter was that dirty, then either the fuel lines or the fuel rail may be clogged up a bit. It certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the injectors and get them cleaned and flow tested. Especially with the age of them. And replace the other parts you've got.

As for the plugs, I'm not sure what you're having a hard time. It's tight in there for 1 and 4 with the frame rails, but it's not that hard. I've used a socket wrench and extension with a universal adapter no problem. Of course, you have to assemble the wrench in the opening. I put the plug socket with extension into the hole on the plug, then connect the universal and wrench to that to spin it loose. There should be no reason to touching the motor mounts. Everything is done from above with everything inside of the frame rails.

And no, I wouldn't torch a motor mount nut on an aluminum frame to get them to free up.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I looked through the service manual, please educate me on where the fuel filter is.

I thought the Gen 1 did not use one.

I have mine apart and would love to swap the filter out before buttoning it back up.

Thank you.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
Assuming it’s an internal filter? Co-located with the fuel pump?
Correct! It's not easily serviceable and replacements are cross-referenced to a Suzuki part number or aftermarket

Reactions: mte78

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry no one responded sooner.

The hesitation sounds fuel related. If the filter was that dirty, then either the fuel lines or the fuel rail may be clogged up a bit. It certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the injectors and get them cleaned and flow tested. Especially with the age of them. And replace the other parts you've got.

As for the plugs, I'm not sure what you're having a hard time. It's tight in there for 1 and 4 with the frame rails, but it's not that hard. I've used a socket wrench and extension with a universal adapter no problem. Of course, you have to assemble the wrench in the opening. I put the plug socket with extension into the hole on the plug, then connect the universal and wrench to that to spin it loose. There should be no reason to touching the motor mounts. Everything is done from above with everything inside of the frame rails.

And no, I wouldn't torch a motor mount nut on an aluminum frame to get them to free up.
I was just following this write up:
Point taken on using a torch, I’ve not wrenched on it anymore but I’ll be back at it tomorrow. I think I’ve figured the plug situation out. I’m just afraid I’m going to put the bike back together and still have the same issue. I guess I’ll go ahead and pull the fuel rail and injectors while I’m there. Not sure who has the ability to test them around me, have to do a little research on that.
thanks for the help, I’m ready to get this thing fixed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked through the service manual, please educate me on where the fuel filter is.

I thought the Gen 1 did not use one.

I have mine apart and would love to swap the filter out before buttoning it back up.

Thank you.
Yeah the internal filter, mine was nasty and so was the pump. I got my replacement in the mail broken so I’ll be waiting for another week so I can put everything together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just following this write up:
Point taken on using a torch, I’ve not wrenched on it anymore but I’ll be back at it tomorrow. I think I’ve figured the plug situation out. I’m just afraid I’m going to put the bike back together and still have the same issue. I guess I’ll go ahead and pull the fuel rail and injectors while I’m there. Not sure who has the ability to test them around me, have to do a little research on that.
thanks for the help, I’m ready to get this thing fixed!
if you need help checking and cleaning the injectors, i could possibly walk you through it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you need help checking and cleaning the injectors, i could possibly walk you through it
Definitely would be interested in that! I got the dreaded bolt out today and was able to get the fuel pump reassembled with the new filter and the tank is cleaned out. Tomorrow when it’s dry I’ll attach the pump back on the tank, and then finish the plugs and getting the motor mounts back in place. Then I’m going to tackle the injectors.

·
Registered
Gen 1 Spark Black and HP4 Competition.
298 Posts
I've just done my plugs, it's straightforward but very laborious and time consuming.. I followed the guide on here which was invaluable. Did you replace the bolt with a new one ?.. and how was fitting the filter, was it easy enough...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've just done my plugs, it's straightforward but very laborious and time consuming.. I followed the guide on here which was invaluable. Did you replace the bolt with a new one ?.. and how was fitting the filter, was it easy enough...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I would’ve been lost with out the guide. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to replace the bolt, it really needs it but a lot of our businesses are closed and the ones that are open are limiting how many in the store at one time with huge lines.

the fuel filter was pretty straight forward and wouldn’t take much time to do in its own. The biggest issue I had was disconnecting the wiring. The previous owner has totally ruined the connector.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Does anyone know where a fella can get this rubber grommet/o ring? I lost one when I was putting the fuel rail back on and when I went to start the bike it’s dumping gas out of the injector because this piece is missing.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It's not an individual item, throttle bodies come as one piece only. Best bet is somebody has some spares from other bodies lying around. I have shit loads of them, but hopefully someone on your side of the Atlantic can help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't mean to state obvious but check the opening where injector sits. I have done this in the past and thought I lost one but it stayed stuck in the manifold...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts