Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
My good friend has a 2004 ZX10R, just recently purchased with low mileage. He had heard of reports on generator failure and thus would like to replace with an 05 unit to stay on the safe side.
but remember, never fix something that ain't Broke...I think OG on this site got 70k miles on his bike, I got over 20K on my bike so it really comes down to how much of piece of mind your willing to pay for. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but remember, never fix something that ain't Broke...I think OG on this site got 70k miles on his bike, I got over 20K on my bike so it really comes down to how much of piece of mind your willing to pay for. :dontknow:
Sure I understand where you're coming from. However the failure can be quite drastic. So I think he wants to take preventive measures rather than wait for the generator to drop it guts into the engine.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
It's kind of hard for the generator to fail!! and you may want to check what letter the generator is cause if you dont get the right one you may have problems.
Remember the clutch, crank and generator are balanced and not all of them are the same.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The 04 generator issue is a major problem. Mine failed at just over 10,000 mi on my 04. At high rpm my motor cut off. When i started it back up I could hear pieces of metal rattling around in my motor. I had no idea there was many of these same cases of 04 generator failure until I researched it. Most of the cases were on zx10r's made in the first six months of 04.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts