Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird stuff going on now that I've I completed my transmission rebuild. The motor just cuts right off when it gets to about 3k. This is in neutral as well as in gear. I'm stumped honestly. I don't even know where to start to look. None of this was happening before I rebuilt. It actually ran like a champ, minus the transmission of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWlzbuLtPw0

Thoughts and suggestions on where to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah.. Same thing I said and everyone else that I showed it to. After a comb thru all the lines and hoses and it's still doing it then I'll throw in the white flag and to the shop it goes. I've never heard anything like it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yeah.. Same thing I said and everyone else that I showed it to. After a comb thru all the lines and hoses and it's still doing it then I'll throw in the white flag and to the shop it goes. I've never heard anything like it.

Sounds just like my rebuilt bike that was sitting for awhile, I didn't do anything to fix it other that add new oil....check it out:

http://youtu.be/0px2eIcQOqM

Bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Where is that sound coming from? If you try to approach the 3k rpm very slowly, does the noise come more slowly too or is it still sudden?

It almost sounds like something mechanical is loose.

Edit: Seems like problem is solved.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would check the starter clutch. Get down by the right side crank cover, and then rev the bike, and see if that is where the sound is coming from. Mike.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I wouldn't rev the bike, I'd take the cover off and double check everything that you did, just to make sure that you put all the parts back in there the right way.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Heading down to the garage to check the starter clutch. I'll keep you posted on the results.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Didn't find anything out of order with the starter clutch. I disassembled/assembled etc. Confirmed it was working by removing the idle gear cover and the wheel was spinning away. The bike still does the same thing around the same rpm range. It even hints at the "unstableness" when idling and has even shut off by itself :angryfire::angryfire:.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm throwing in the towel guys. I tried 2 other starter clutches. Removed and re installed my original clutch. Bought A brand new actual clutch. All yielded mixed impacts but the end result is the same. Not 3k RPMs every time but it happens eventually. I'll drop it off at a race shop and have them give it a go but I'm not about to have some crazy trouble shooting bill. We shall see how it all plays out. :banghead::banghead::confused:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts