Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to throw this question out to you guys knowing I will get some good advice:

Lets say you had a Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 engine sitting on your shop floor, What in everyones opinion would be the BEST combination of parts put together from all the engines to give you the most HP. This is from oil pan to air cleaner and everything in between.

Also assume another $500. or so can be spent on other aftermarket parts...

What would YOU do......

Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
gen 1 bottom end, gen 1 head-decked thin hg,gen 3 kit intake cam w/gen 3 and gen 1 exaust cam gen 3 retainers, gen 3 throttle bodies -flies removed , gen 3 lowers injectors, gen 3 airbox w upper injecotrs, gen 3 ecu.... extra money should go to upgraded valve springs and headwork(sirdi valve job).id end up expoxying the head and create my own velocity port job....i think thats going to create the biggest from kawi parts.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
gen 1 bottom end, gen 1 head-decked thin hg,gen 3 kit intake cam w/gen 3 and gen 1 exaust cam gen 3 retainers, gen 3 throttle bodies -flies removed , gen 3 lowers injectors, gen 3 airbox w upper injecotrs, gen 3 ecu.... extra money should go to upgraded valve springs and headwork(sirdi valve job).id end up expoxying the head and create my own velocity port job....i think thats going to create the biggest from kawi parts.
Why would you suggest for him to go with a gen 1 motor when it doesn't make anywhere close to as much power as the gen 3 engine?????

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would avoid the gen 1 simply because there are less parts for them (older, and only a 2 year production run), and the high speed charging system is a liability. The gen 2 and 3 motors are essentially the same, and have double the time in production run.

As far as power under the curve goes: cam timing will get you where you need to be, and that's not generation dependent at all. :) OP did state that he's going to run the engine over 10K pretty much all the time, though.... no need for that discussion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts are as follows:
07 block
08 crank
08 head
08 race intake cam
04 exhaust cam
07 throttle bodies
08 injectors
.50 head gasket
Deck the head .10
K&N stand alone filters

Comments??? :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Great idea. Irrelevant and unhelpful given the context of the thread, but still a good idea.

Anyway, if you run the 08 injectors on the 07 TB's, you'll need to do a lot of retuning. The 2nd gen injectors are up to the task so long as you aren't going really crazy with power; I wouldn't bother changing that if you're using 06/07 electronics. If you're doing stand alone, then it makes no difference. If I could build a good airbox with velocity stacks, I'd certainly do that before I put pod filters on it. Depending on your speeds and aero requirements, you might be able to get a design in there that will get you gains up in the RPM range you plan on running. :) Just check your quench/squish/PTV before you start decking the head.

It's going to run like a scalded cat though, hehe.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
My thoughts are as follows:
07 block
08 crank
08 head
08 race intake cam
04 exhaust cam
07 throttle bodies
08 injectors
.50 head gasket
Deck the head .10
K&N stand alone filters

Comments??? :)
Just take a 3rd gen engine... Try the 06 exhaust cam with the race 08 intake first, see if you like it.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Any info on the 04 head working better than the 08 head?
it has the biggest valves 1-3rd gen out of the factory and it flows the most out of the factory would work good with some aftermarket cams. 3rd gen has the smallest valves out of the bunch, but has straighter intake runners and will work pretty good with race intake and 04-07 exhaust cams and has the smallest combustion chamber out of the 1st 3 gens.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
it has the biggest valves 1-3rd gen out of the factory and it flows the most out of the factory would work good with some aftermarket cams. 3rd gen has the smallest valves out of the bunch, but has straighter intake runners and will work pretty good with race intake and 04-07 exhaust cams and has the smallest combustion chamber out of the 1st 3 gens.
Somebody tested it on a gen3 and got better results with the gen1 head?
Do you have a link that shows that it worked?

I think i read that gazx10 tested it? I might be wrong though...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
no, havent flowed one. mcgyver has and says gen 1 outflows others by 14 cfm at high lift. i will have to add i ported a gen 2 head to same specs as my gen 1, same deck, same cnc radius vj, except gen 2 smaller 30 mm int valve, gen 1 has stk. lift reground webs, gen 2 has 08 race int., stk ex. made very similiar power on same dyno all the way to rev limiter, very close. was concerned about the smaller valves and 08 race int,, stk ex. setup making the power we wanted, those concerns quickly went away on the dyno when tuning. just my experience between these gen heads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it sounds like I may be better off with the Gen 1 head and shave some off from it?
opinions?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts