Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a quick ride today and I had a wot run thru a few gears. When I shifted into 6th and it revved out like it was neutral. I was using my quickshifter also. The bike only has 2500 miles so I doubt it could be a clutch issue this early. Is it possible for the transmission to get caught between gears?

Btw it's a 2005 zx10r

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,760 Posts
Your gears can't slip. They are a constant mesh design and the gear pairs interlock through a set of "dogs" on the sides of each gear pairing.

What you're likely experiencing is a "false neutral", or like you said, caught in between the gear pairings. This can sometimes occur based on an incomplete or sloppy shift or from worn tranny parts. If you were able to press the gearshift lever and get it into gear and it didn't repeat itself, then it's probably just one of those random things. If it continues and is repeatable, then you've got other transmission issues (worn shift drum, worn shift forks, etc.) and it will only get worse unless fixed.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
well said:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
How long has it been since you changed your oil. I know if I go too long on the same oil my trans will not shift as nice. If I get a bad shift or notice it takes more effort to work the shifter new oil is needed.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
sounds like a bad clutch me. if it was the tranny i would think it would do in all gears not just 6th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts