Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
70 Posts
No will change to a 520 chain. I also read that the gen4 has the Speedo and Odo on the wheel so I won’t need to install a Speedo healer or any thing like that. The correct? And yea I think ima pull the trigger on it and if I don’t like it I’ll jus buy a stock size sprocket and go back down to stock. No biggie!
Yes, the Gen 4 uses the wheel sensors to calculate speed, so altering the gearing will not affect the cluster.

I would also caution against the 520 chain conversion. The weight/rotating mass decrease is quite small, while the decrease in durability and longevity can be considerable. For a racer looking to gain an advantage by shaving every ounce, they can be worth it, but for a street rider the 525 is the way to go.

Also, if you are considering aluminum sprockets, dont. They absolutely suck in terms of longevity on these bikes.

On your front sprocket, I'd highly suggest buying the rubber cushioned version. They help considerably in damping chain induced vibrations.

As far as brand, may I suggest JT sprockets? I currently have a set on my Gen 4 and have used them on multiple other bikes. Their prices are reasonable, they seem to last forever, and usually you can find them on Amazon with free 2 day shipping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, the Gen 4 uses the wheel sensors to calculate speed, so altering the gearing will not affect the cluster.

I would also caution against the 520 chain conversion. The weight/rotating mass decrease is quite small, while the decrease in durability and longevity can be considerable. For a racer looking to gain an advantage by shaving every ounce, they can be worth it, but for a street rider the 530 is the way to go.

Also, if you are considering aluminum sprockets, dont. They absolutely suck in terms of longevity on these bikes.

On your front sprocket, I'd highly suggest buying the rubber cushioned version. They help considerably in damping chain induced vibrations.

As far as brand, may I suggest JT sprockets? I currently have a set on my Gen 4 and have used them on multiple other bikes. Their prices are reasonable, they seem to last forever, and usually you can find them on Amazon with free 2 day shipping.
How long you thinking the aluminum sprockets last? The vortex kit I’m looking at is a 520 chain and steel front sprocket with the colored anodized rear sprocket and chain? I’m definitely not looking to shave every ounce cuz all the racing I do is just with my buddies on the street, milliseconds don’t matter for me, but that’s the kit I have stumbled upon. I don’t mind changing them every couple years but if you are talking changing the aluminum ones every few months we may have an issue haha. What you think? And what gearing do you have on your gen4 and do you like it?

·
Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
70 Posts
How long you thinking the aluminum sprockets last? The vortex kit I’m looking at is a 520 chain and steel front sprocket with the colored anodized rear sprocket and chain? I’m definitely not looking to shave every ounce cuz all the racing I do is just with my buddies on the street, milliseconds don’t matter for me, but that’s the kit I have stumbled upon. I don’t mind changing them every couple years but if you are talking changing the aluminum ones every few months we may have an issue haha. What you think? And what gearing do you have on your gen4 and do you like it?
On one of my previous bikes (97 ZX-11D), included with the sale were two new Vortex aluminum rear sprockets. Both of them were worn out in under 6k miles. On friends bikes, about 5-6k was the most mileage any of them ever got out of a set, and a couple times they didn't even get half of that. Not a single one of us would even consider them on our bikes.

With aluminum sprockets, the chain HAS to be in perfect tension at all times. Too tight and chain will eat into the sprocket, while too loose can bend or shear the teeth on a hard launch.

My Gen 4 has -1 front and +2 rear. I have only praise for that combo. It wakes the bike right up on the bottom end, without killing the top speed or making highway cruising uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,106 Posts
So I have 4 different sets of sprockets for my bike, stock, and -1 for the front in 525 and -1 front in 520, rear I have stock, +1 and plus 2 in 525 and +1 in 520...I am currently running -1,+1 and I think I am gonna go pick up a stock tooth count rear but in 520 so I can just run -1 front. With my bike tuned the way it is, it has enough power and I don't really drag race and it would be nice to see a tad bit higher fuel efficiency whole just cruising from a to b on the southern California freeways..I found -1+2 to be too much for street riding, the revs were always just up more than I liked since I already typically cruise at 98 or 99mph(the ticket for over 100 is just Ludacris, I should know I have been written 3 of them) so aside from the bike feeling slightly lethargic off the line(easy enough to raise the idle rpm up to 1400 to help negate that with woolich) the reason I normally do at least drop tooth front is cause it doesn't add to my chain length like adding to the rear does. Adding 2 to the rear I was still able to get away with pretty much stock chain length after dropping one up front... Idk, it's all subjective but I know I am cool with just the -1 front

21 - 24 of 24 Posts