Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there's already a thread on this somewhere on here so sorry if I'm making another one but I couldn't find it.. im going -1+2 on sprockets and doing a 520 conversion, has anybody done this? My effort is to bring the gearing of 1st and 2nd down lower for riding around town. I like to wheelie as well so extra torques not a problem and I'm not usually in the tip top ranges of rpms anyway as I'm a city and highway rider so I feel it'll suit me. Plus I'm rather addicted to the g force feeling the zx10 provides even at only half throttle lol love that shi* so more is better lol. But yah if anyone's done this and wishes to chime in it'd be great I'd like to hear opinions of people who have done it and if it's a dumb idea or if it'll achieve my goal of making 1st and 2nd shorter in rpms. Thanks yall hope you had a good new year!!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep the 525 and the 17, try 41 on the rear; that info is ONLY if you ride a lot. If you hardly ride, do what you like most. Riding a lot defined: 220 miles per day, everyday, weather permitting.
Mannn I went ahead and did the 520 conversion -1+2 and tbh I really do love this set up it achieved exactly what I needed it to do with the rpms and its torque city for sure. I thought it had grunt before but now the thing grips ground it's like it spins the earth under its tires instead of vice versa 🤣🤣👌I barely lost any top speed at all, like 15 mph at most but gained alot of torque and overall acceleration. If you're not going to the track all the time and using the bike around the city I'd say go for the -1+2. Only thing I may do different in the future is go back to the 525 pitch and see if that makes a difference in how long they last before I need to change em again. I went with Vortex sprockets because the bike came with Vortex rearsets and I put a DID 520 racing chain for this conversion. So far its been great I've put about 140 miles on her since the swap and she definitely wants to RUN 🏃‍♂️💨

· Registered
19 Posts
Mannn I went ahead and did the 520 conversion -1+2 and tbh I really do love this set up it achieved exactly what I needed it to do with the rpms and its torque city for sure. I thought it had grunt before but now the thing grips ground it's like it spins the earth under its tires instead of vice versa 🤣🤣👌I barely lost any top speed at all, like 15 mph at most but gained alot of torque and overall acceleration. If you're not going to the track all the time and using the bike around the city I'd say go for the -1+2. Only thing I may do different in the future is go back to the 525 pitch and see if that makes a difference in how long they last before I need to change em again. I went with Vortex sprockets because the bike came with Vortex rearsets and I put a DID 520 racing chain for this conversion. So far its been great I've put about 140 miles on her since the swap and she definitely wants to RUN 🏃‍♂️💨
Must use steel sprockets on rear even with 17 on front. Be certain NOT to run chain on tight side as tight will strip the teeth on aluminum. If you're dialed in, 520 will last about 7500 miles, so watch for tight spots then change out.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Must use steel sprockets on rear even with 17 on front. Be certain NOT to run chain on tight side as tight will strip the teeth on aluminum. If you're dialed in, 520 will last about 7500 miles, so watch for tight spots then change out.
For sure I choose steel always over aluminum and im a stickler for checking chain tension lol I'm not racing so the extra weight doesn't bother me plus I'm a smaller rider anyway I can get away with extra pounds on the bike lol (I have another question about that for another thread tho -what is the rear shock stock spring rate? Cant find it anywhere and having probs dialing in my suspension for my weight) but back to this I tried to choose a vortex sprocket that was mostly a closed circle at the mounting point as to try to avoid over torquing the hub at any point I've seen some of those end up sheered off lol but yeah I'm of the understanding it won't last as long as a 525 but for me and my riding style this is perfectly fine for me 👌

1 - 7 of 7 Posts