Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So currently I'm running stock front sprocket chain and rear sprocket, front is 17T, rear is 40T, I'm thinking about going 42T in the rear and 16T in front. That being said what's my top speed now? Also if I loose that much top speed what if I leave front 17 rear 42. Or rear 41 front 17. Just to trying to get a idea. PFA my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well -1 in the front is like going +2 or 3 in the back already. So if you go -1 +2 just know it's going to be hard keeping that front wheel planted on the ground without a stretch. Not sure about top end, but it will definitely suffer with this setup to some degree. -1 in the front should be fine on it's own if you'd still like to enjoy the most out of your higher rpm range

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stock gearing i think my Gen 2 did 184 before i let off and it felt like a little more was there. After gearing -1 +1 I never did a high speed run again

·
Registered
673 Posts
You could also look into some other options. If you want to cut some weight, try reducing teeth on all sprockets (and then shortening up the chain accordingly).
For example: A -1/+2 ratio might be the same or close to a -2/-3 ratio. You will get some accelerated wear (maybe 90% the life of stock), but who cares lol. We're talking thousands upon thousands of miles before replacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, forgive me for chiming in here, but im very new to my gen 2 zx10r. Its had a very easy life and had 7k miles on from july 2018. Stock gearing, has a TRE, decat, akrapovic cans, valve delete on the back end, and stock gearing. I clocked 185mph + at the baboons arse end of 5th ( I was fully shitting myself and loving life at the time and didnt want to look at the clock till i stopped wringing its neck). I weigh fuck all soaking wet and cant wait to go get her dyno'd and see what a fuel managment system can add.

Personally i couldnt imagine less top and more bottom on this thing for my weight, its nuttier than squirell shit, now i know why they put a damper on it from factory ! Ive almost been killed by it a few times from shaking its head at me ( damper is getting re-valved ) and upgrading the front calipers !

·
Registered
184 Posts
I guess if you are mainly wacking the throttle open on straights, you don't need to regear. I ride twisty roads or track almost exclusively so more bottom is always welcome. Getting out of a corner as quickly as possible is key to a fast lap. How fast does a person need to go? If you don't reach top rpm in 6th gear on the longest straight then go for more bottom end power.

·
Registered
254 Posts
start with a -1 front, cheap to do, can change up rear from there if to ur liking for type of riding u do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts