Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I signed up for a half mile race called race wars in February. It's mainly roll racing but I think they'll allow standing starts as well. I'm currently -1,+2 with a guhl flash and I think +500 rpm redline. I usually run the 1/4 at 145 mph. Looking at gearing commander I should top out at about 174 mph. I'm worried that I'll top out before the 1/2 mile mark.

Does anyone have experience racing at 1/2 mile events? What gearing works the best to have good acceleration but not top out too soon?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Pure speculation on my part but firstly it would depend on a dead standing start or roll and what final drive combo will perform the best. In my mind your current -1/+2 is too short for either race and top out before the finish. If your able to do any testing i suspect this will reveal whats required.

BD

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
...from a roll you'll be pretty close to geared out in a half mile.... I believe they do those rolls from about 40mph. You will be making a little more power out on I-8 than you will be in Tucson though... it may be worth the effort to just bring a sprocket or two with you and change it in the pits if you run out of rpm..... basic hand tools and a rear stand are all you need to make it easy. If you can get your hands on an electric impact it makes it even easier.

BUUUTTTT, looking around the net a bit, it looks like the best half-mile times from Huston events and others, it looks like NA in the top spots are trapping in the mid to high 170's; Haybus's and S1000R's most notably.... if you can get it to go through on the limiter you'd likely be one of the fastest NA bikes out there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was thinking about bringing another rear sprocket or 2. I was hoping someone would have some definite numbers from experience and be willing to share. There's not a lot of places where it's legal to test out what distance it takes to top out a bike. I've never done it over a measured distance. Which is part of why I chose to go to this event.

I wonder if it will be beneficial to lower the rear and strap the front down like I do for the 1/4 mile. I've run my camaro at the same air strip for another event and the top end has a pretty good bump that I'd be worried about taking a strapped bike over at full speed. The slow down area of the strip is a half mile. The end came up pretty fast even crossing the line at 148mph in my car. I think it could get a little sketchy slowing a strapped bike from 170 ish. We'll see I guess.

Spaz you going to bring your super charged bike out there?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sometimes i used a friend s Racelogic VBOX to do some measrements. My gen3 ZX10 have about 180whp . For the measurements i use a lighter rider than me. I have found that the heavier the rider is the shorter gear u must have.
There is a 20-22kg weight difference between me and the lighter rider.I m 105kg.

16-41 (stock gen3 is 17-41) 190-55 top gear 305km/h

1)rolling start from 60km/h for 800meters(1/2 mile) i came out with 298km/h in 13.30seconds

2)rolling start from 100km/h for 800meters i came out with 302km/h in 12.40seconds

I put a pic from vboxverify.com
Here we have a 100-200 km/h in 3.59secs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about bringing another rear sprocket or 2. I was hoping someone would have some definite numbers from experience and be willing to share. There's not a lot of places where it's legal to test out what distance it takes to top out a bike. I've never done it over a measured distance. Which is part of why I chose to go to this event.

I wonder if it will be beneficial to lower the rear and strap the front down like I do for the 1/4 mile. I've run my camaro at the same air strip for another event and the top end has a pretty good bump that I'd be worried about taking a strapped bike over at full speed. The slow down area of the strip is a half mile. The end came up pretty fast even crossing the line at 148mph in my car. I think it could get a little sketchy slowing a strapped bike from 170 ish. We'll see I guess.

Spaz you going to bring your super charged bike out there?
I think you'll be ok with your current gearing and maybe a backup sprocket (a +1 front or a -2 rear... whichever works with how your chain is set right now). Those results from Texas are going to be pretty close to yours, but IIRC you're not a small 140lb guy like some of them. :)

I want to bring the turbo bike out, but I have to get the arm I'm building finished first. My friend is doing the welding (I'm awful at welding aluminum) & his machine took a crap before christmas.... as soon as I get that thing welded together I'll be out at events, for sure. I may come up to SIR too to see how it MPH's.... without a dedicated clutch set-up and the 220+ mph gearing it won't ET worth a damn, but I'd like to see mph in the high 160s if I can. :)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sometimes i used a friend s Racelogic VBOX to do some measrements. My gen3 ZX10 have about 180whp . For the measurements i use a lighter rider than me. I have found that the heavier the rider is the shorter gear u must have.
There is a 20-22kg weight difference between me and the lighter rider.I m 105kg.

1)rolling start from 60km/h for 800meters(1/2 mile) i came out with 298km/h in 13.30seconds

2)rolling start from 100km/h for 800meters i came out with 302km/h in 12.40seconds

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Thanks Theatiss!

Hopefully it'll work the same for a gen4. I'm about 205 lbs so right in the middle of you and the lighter rider. My hp is within 5hp of you. Since I'm currently running 16, 41 gearing (stock 17,39) I'll bring a 17 front sprocket and that should bump my top speed to 185 mph, about 295km/h. So that should put me in a good ball park for 1/2 mile runs from 60 mph.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
did some searching in the southeast for this same type of racing. would love to run the gen 2 10 at one of these events as it runs 160 in the 1/4. one here in ga. at airstrip this year but no motorcycles and sold out already. couple of others in surrounding states but events registration full already. if u guys know of anything different let me know. really interested.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did some searching in the southeast for this same type of racing. would love to run the gen 2 10 at one of these events as it runs 160 in the 1/4. one here in ga. at airstrip this year but no motorcycles and sold out already. couple of others in surrounding states but events registration full already. if u guys know of anything different let me know. really interested.
Keep an eye on the Texas mile that fills up almost instantly though.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here in Greece we dont have any type of that racing events.i wish i am near you. I would like to try with my gen3

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Your mph is freakish for an NA/non-nitrous bike... it really is a testament to how important set-up and overall packing can be over just brute horsepower! Seriously impressive what you do Gaz! What does your gearing look like for those runs?

Arizona has one or two of those 1/2 mile meets a year... if you're looking for something further east Huston is going to be your best bet. I see that Ohio has a one mile course too.... one of these days soon I'm going to make it out to Huston, fo sho.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
appreciate the info, dont want to travel that far. maybe find something closer, going to keep looking. would be fun. gear is -2+2 for 1/4. runs bout the same mph -1+4. anyway expect it to carry 1/2 mile gearing fine. again, thanks for help spaz.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
appreciate the info, dont want to travel that far. maybe find something closer, going to keep looking. would be fun. gear is -2+2 for 1/4. runs bout the same mph -1+4. anyway expect it to carry 1/2 mile gearing fine. again, thanks for help spaz.
do you go through the lights in 5th or 6th??

BD

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
6th gear. ran -1+5 on the 04, it ran 159 couple of times in very good air. but 157 was her avg. pass. close to stk 12500 rev limit in 6th also. 07 had to extend rev to 13500 to make the stripe with the mph it runs and gearing. dont twist it that high in each gear, but let it pull on in 6th.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We do a lot of half mile racing on the street where I live, typically 40-50 rolls. my 4th gen makes its best passes with 15/39

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before going to the event I put my 17T sprocket on the front and kept my +2 on the rear of the bike. So I was 0,+2 gearing. I went out and was running high 160s for mph. So I swapped out my gearing back to -1,+2 like I run on the street but there wasn't much change. Then I lowered my bike (adjustable rear link) and strapped the front and started getting into the mid 170s. Then I started getting everything down and hitting the Rev limiter about 300 ft from the finish line (found out my redline is bumped up 1000 rpms not 500 like I thought). So my fastest was 176.2 mph. I wish I had lowered the bike before changing the gearing to see what I could have done with a higher potential top speed. I could have changed back but it was getting late in the day so I'll wait until next year.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
strong performance and i know how much bumping that rev limiter hurts mph from experience. bike is flying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts