Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta admit that I'm a little embarrassed asking this question as I've made this adjustment a score of times before on other bikes, but on my 1st Gen ZX-10R, it's not cooperating. I'm stumped.

I need to adjust my gear shift pedal lever down as I can barely reach it. I totally loosened the clamp that secures the linkage...

to the main rod that runs through the motor, but I can't get it to slide out & off so I can rotate it on the splines to adjust the pedal lever down. It is loose & it will slide out, but it stops & just won't come all the way off. There are no visible burrs or obstructions that would cause it's travel to cease, but it just stops.

Is there a step that I'm missing on the 1st Gen ZX-10R.?! :|

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,735 Posts
You're doing it wrong!

You loosen the locking nuts on the throw rod (red) and then spin the throw rod (blue). The end bearings are opposite threads so it will lengthen and shorten the rod ends which pick the pedal up or move it down.

If you need to move splines on the spindle, the clamping bolt has to be removed completely. The threaded shaft has a groove in it that the bolt rides in. You can't pull it off the spindle shaft if the bolt is in. :idea:

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SKYD <> Thanks for being there, again. :eek:ccasion1

The reason I chose to adjust by rotating the clamp on the grooved spindle is due to the extreme of the adjustment required. I've always used the throw tube for fine adjustments; sort of analogous to the spindle at the clutch lever as to the lock nut at the clutch cover. Under hard throttle, I have to literally lift my whole foot up off the peg to reach the shift pedal lever. It's terribly upsetting to the chassis at lean, and I have to be uber vigilant in all 1st/2nd upshifts to get a solid engagement since it's such a reach.

I'll try again by completely removing the clamping bolt. Thanks again!

·
Registered
340 Posts
i run into it on bikes. shot of wd40, prying with large flat head screwdriver, spreading clevis open with large flathead, probabley all three. but it will come off for needed adjustment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good lookin out, GAZ. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts