Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
16,059 Posts
Yea yea.... can't win 'em all. :)

The little inserts are very, very fragile as the wall thickness in the center is way under .100"... but I can turn a few up. Once they're centered in the bearing, though, that tickness doesn't matter.

Tell ya what, I'll order a few more of those bearings/washers/screws, and you measure the thickness of the stock shift lever at post it up here. I noticed that they are all +/- about .020" on thickness, so I'll make the spacers about 2X that thicker than that + the bearing thickness. Once they're made you can hit me for just the material cost + shipping and I'll send 'em out.... but the fitment is on you. :) I'll post up the dimensions of said parts this time too, that way I can't forget them. :badteeth: Absolute worst case scenario would be having to gently sand the thickness of the lever down a touch.

PS A good loctite compound would likely work... the bearing is a fairly snug fit. Honestly, the washer keeps anything from possibly escaping, I'm just a perfectionist about keeping things centered so that the parts don't drag/wear at all. In all honesty you likely wouldn't notice if they did.

PPS: What is the thread pitch on that M8 bolt that goes through the arm? I forgot that too.

PPPS: Don't forget to peen the rivet on the socket joint/heim on the shifter arm if there is play in that.... that's half the battle right there.
OK, sounds like a freakin' deal! I'll get the measurements this weekend and post the info. The bolt is likely an M8x1.25, but I'll confirm that as well. Peening the rivet was one of the first things I was going to do. Well, other than possibly drilling it out and fitting a heim/bolt on there to make it work with a Gen 3 shift arm for reversing it. :wink: Not sure I want to go that route yet.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
....Just peen the shit out of it on the back side; works like a charm. You can use a punch to put a good divot on the back side, then use a ball peen until the punch divot lays flat/smooths out...that's usually enough to get it done. Just make sure to keep the joint side flat against something hard whilst you swing the beat stick. I held it by hand and used the ugly vise as an anvil, but hands and anvils will vary from shop to shop. :)

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
16,059 Posts
....Just peen the shit out of it on the back side; works like a charm. You can use a punch to put a good divot on the back side, then use a ball peen until the punch divot lays flat/smooths out...that's usually enough to get it done. Just make sure to keep the joint side flat against something hard whilst you swing the beat stick. I held it by hand and used the ugly vise as an anvil, but hands and anvils will vary from shop to shop. :)

Cool, that's pretty much exactly how I was going to do it as well.

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
16,059 Posts
Tell ya what, I'll order a few more of those bearings/washers/screws, and you measure the thickness of the stock shift lever at post it up here. I noticed that they are all +/- about .020" on thickness, so I'll make the spacers about 2X that thicker than that + the bearing thickness. Once they're made you can hit me for just the material cost + shipping and I'll send 'em out.... but the fitment is on you. :) I'll post up the dimensions of said parts this time too, that way I can't forget them. :badteeth: Absolute worst case scenario would be having to gently sand the thickness of the lever down a touch.
Haven't forgotten about this. Got the shift pedal off the bike this morning before going to work. Confirmed that it's an M8x1.25 thread on the bolt. Still have to put the calipers on it to measure the thickness. Should have that done shortly.

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
16,059 Posts
Awesome. Already ordered the washers & bearings, and have the aluminum on the shelf.... should have enough for about 10 kits when its all said and done.

Here is what I have for measurements. Btw, this is the gen 5 shift lever. It "should" be the same as the gen 4, but for some reason the part numbers are different.

Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument Tire Calipers

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
16,059 Posts
hrm. Are the pivot bolts the same part number? If so they are likely the same width.
No, the bolts are not the same part number. Kawi changed something, but the arrangement looks identical. I'll measure up the diameter of the bolt shank to be sure. The large diameter washer that goes on the shank first is the same number between models. So maybe they changed the material or something on the bolt. :dontknow:

Did you see the width I measured on the lever above? Is that the measurement you were looking for? Does that seem to jive with the measurements you had previously?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Yup, that was the measurement I needed. I have a couple pivot bolts here from the other jobs, so I'll measure those and see if everything matches up with what you have. May take me a day or two, as I have to replace the transmission in the family wagon here in the next couple days..... I swear my vehicles can smell when it's tax season.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Looks like I'm going to be busy this weekend on the lathe. :) Bearings should be here today or tomorrow, have to get the transmission back in my Yukon this Saturday, then I'll start cranking out sets Sunday.

On a side note Sky: Ski is sending me gen 4 levers... if you want to wait 'till they get here I can post up all the critical measurements to see if there is a difference Gen 4 to Gen 5.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Shipping the fixed lever back tonight to mpp12 to test. Pending feedback I'll do more if anyone wants. Ship it to me, shoot me 25 bucks through paypal (covers parts, shipping, and fees), and I'll ship it back Priority USPS. I need only the lever to get the mod done.

I'll post up a how-to for those folks who feel DIY inclined later tonight. :)
Been following yer progress and id be down for this for my Gen2 while winter is here. I'd be down for this if the offer still stands. $ well spent it seems :helmet:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Been following yer progress and id be down for this for my Gen2 while winter is here. I'd be down for this if the offer still stands. $ well spent it seems :helmet:
The gen 2 is not nearly as bad as the Gen 4/5 set up (as far as being sloppy goes), but it does feel a little better with the bearing mod. It uses and entirely different bearing set-up, but I have a set left over from doing my Concours & old track bike. It's a little less labor intensive too, and the hardware is cheaper. 20 bucks shipped and I'll knock it out for you... just PM me your details.

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
16,059 Posts
On a side note Sky: Ski is sending me gen 4 levers... if you want to wait 'till they get here I can post up all the critical measurements to see if there is a difference Gen 4 to Gen 5.
Works for me homie!!!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Lots of pics of measurements!!

Mostly for Sky's benefit, or for anyone else who comes along. The shift levers and bushings are all +/- .001", and the bolts are usually within .004" of one another.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Mod, part one

Had to babysit tonight, so only got as far as prepping the levers (general disassembly and servicing the socket joint) and making one side of the spacer.... now that it's all tooled up I should be able to finish 3 sets and get requests back out to ya'll for shipping tomorrow evening.

Play by play:
Press old bushing out
Remove joint boot and add a little more peen to rivet
Pack joint with grease and reinstall boot
Measure and sketch like a madman (not shown, for sake of sanity)
Turn down 1" 6061 stock to .690" overall, and center drill 5/16" (.3125) hole... really damn close to 8mm, as luck would have it
Turn shoulder down to .352"-ish @ .110 deep (to center bearing)
Part piece @ .083" at the .690" dimension, making the overall length almost .200"

.....fit and repeat. :badteeth: Last steps after that are to drill/tap the lever for the set screw and shorten the new pivot bolt just a touch. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
....aaaaand finished.

The spacers are a tiny bit offset to keep about a .005"-.010" gap between the lever and the washer/footrest. The lever is drilled and tapped for an M5 x .8 stainless set screw, and thread locking compound is added for good measure. The stock washer is reused, though I polished it up a bit to match the stainless M8 pivot bolt. There is a bit of fresh blue loctite on the M8 bolt, and a drop of adhesive on each spacer half to keep them steady in the bearing when you install them. :)

These two are ready to go tomorrow... you should have an invoice in your inbox Ski.

Sky: I should have your pieces turned up tomorrow after work, want to shoot me your paypal info so I can send you an invoice? Call it 10 bucks plus however you want to ship it, and I'll put that set screw in there in case you want to tap it yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
arrived today, fast turn around, and REALLY FAST SHIPPING. now I just need warm weather... maybe 2 months before I can try them though. :(

thanks spaz! appreciate you doing this for us mortals. Ski

41 - 60 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.