Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike clearly has a worn/dodgy contact for 6th gear. Some times the gear indicator shows 6th, like it should, other times its blank, and or vary’s from 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear depending on how hard I’m accelerating.(harder acceleration = lower indicated gear)

Based on the fact it’s a simple resistive element, with different fixed resistances for each gear. I suspect 8 years and it’s either simple corrosion/dirty contacts or the springs that keep the plungers in contact are getting weak.

Either way, any advice? I’m thinking of just ordering a new switch, plungers (x2) and springs (x2). Will I need new seals for oil pump and water pump too? Can I remove teh water and oil pump in one without splitting and only buy a new o-ring for the oil pump?

Based on the service manual , it looks like you need to remove the water/oil pump to gain easy access to the screws in the switch, unless anyone has any “tips”?

Rob

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
Tech guys here need info on bike mileage and if bike has been parked outside; also, identify if original owner. Tech are math and psychology of people types. Good news is that the bike is appears to be running good. Many here would care less about your observed problem as THEY ALL owned bikes without gear selection identification. Meaning, tech guys may not know upper end riding skills, but they know about everything about the bike and about rider category skill level. . Especially the old pro tech guys. Talking to one of those guys is like trying to fake your dad. Never works.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha! Thanks Scout, for what it’s worth!

The Gear indicator is more of a problem for the quick shifter kill times. But as it’s only 6th affected less of an issue. (I never quick shift out of sixth into what.......... Seventh?) 😂

However, I care when something on my bike isn’t quite right. I’ve now ordered a replacement switch, contacts and springs and all seals needed for the oil/water pump.

Next weekends job for me!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
It should be relatively easy to correct the problem. It sounds like you just need to clean the GP Switch contacts a bit as they may be dirty/worn a little bit. There are 2 screws that hold the GP Switch to the engine case. Just loosen those, take the switch out, and clean off the contacts from the shift drum and the switch contact pad itself. I would doubt the switch is the problem and the contacts are what the issue is. You can pull them out, turn them around, and even lengthen the springs a bit to apply more force on them.

Yes, the problem is getting to the switch in the first place! It's behind the water pump so you have to remove that to gain access. It should be easy. The oil ring seals can be reused if you don't damage them taking it out. Don't yank it out, but twist it back and forth slightly as you apply even pressure the whole time. You don't technically have to remove the oil pump, but the rotors for that are driven off the water pump shaft and it comes out with the water pump impeller housing that blocks the GP Switch. The biggest thing I'd worry about it the mess. The oil pump will be open to any dripping coolant from the disconnected hose. Just keep the area clean and you should be fine.

Reactions: trebor27

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
Ha ha! Thanks Scout, for what it’s worth!

The Gear indicator is more of a problem for the quick shifter kill times. But as it’s only 6th affected less of an issue. (I never quick shift out of sixth into what.......... Seventh?) 😂

However, I care when something on my bike isn’t quite right. I’ve now ordered a replacement switch, contacts and springs and all seals needed for the oil/water pump.

Next weekends job for me!
Ah, used to that. The wife is always pulling her her card marked 'I'm (her) a detail person). So, when she can't puzzle out how to put together a Chinese Puzzle rake or whatever and resorts to ME a 'non-detailed' person, then starts in on me to show how smart she really is regardless of the reality of her total failure, I pull the 'buzz off, Queenie' card, but use her name instead of Queen. :) My rule is if the bike is running good, don't fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts