Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone experienced or has idea please assit.
I have dynojet quickshifter on my 2011 zx10r.
It worked properly untill i moved from stock rear sets to lightech r series.
During races had several times shifting problems from gear 2 to 3rd - in particular it seems it is in gear 3 but in fact it is in neutral.... Gear indicator shows nothing when this is happening
Does anyone have any idea? Thanks!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
There are several potential issues. You are being lazy with your shifts and not fully engaging the next gear pair, especially with the new rearsets. Or your quickshifter kill time is set too low and the gears don't have enough time to fully engage. Or you're starting to develop transmission problems in terms of bent shift forks, shift linkage, drum, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I also thought about kill times which is curently set to 65ms... Can you recommend any other number as i have no clue.... Thanks again?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Quickshifter? When did people get too lazy to use their foot? Or did this come about when people started listening to ipods and cant hear what their motors sound like, or did they just want to add more problems to the equation? Oh well money well spent I guess.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
Quickshifter? When did people get too lazy to use their foot? Or did this come about when people started listening to ipods and cant hear what their motors sound like, or did they just want to add more problems to the equation? Oh well money well spent I guess.

A quickshifter is for road race use. It's to do clutch less up shifting at full throttle by still using the foot pedal. You still have to move your foot to shift, just not your hand. You're thinking of an air shifter which does it all automatically. I have a quickshifter as well and it certainly serves it's purpose.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
Thanks! I also thought about kill times which is curently set to 65ms... Can you recommend any other number as i have no clue.... Thanks again?

65ms is in the ballpark for sure. My 1-2 shift is set for 80ms, the 2-3 is at 70ms, the 3-4 is at 60ms, the 4-5 is at 50ms, and the 5-6 is at 40ms. My times are set somewhat conservatively to help prevent any tranny damage.

You may try increasing your time slightly but it doesn't sound like that's it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
The thing that changed is your rear sets. Check the rigging very carefully. Make sure the linkage has no slack in it and that the lever is in a good position to action the shift. Make sure you are being positive with the shift. I had very similar problems and that is what fixed it for me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have changed the positions of the lever and also there is no slack actually. Have to mess with it again i guess but will try to change kill times first. Thanks a lot all!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Things to check first:
1.) The shift arm on the transmission side needs to go straight up or straight down, depending upon your shift pattern.

2.) The shift lever on the rear-sets needs to be well lubricated. Take the arm off the transmission side (it's 1 bolt), and see if the shift lever moves freely. If not, lubricate and/or adjust the mounting bolt.

3.) Quick-shift times of 65 ms should be fine

4.) Pull that shift lever firmly. The transmission on the ZX-10R is one of my least favorite things about the bike, and it's finicky on engaging gears. I wish they could do whatever Suzuki has done with their's.

5.) Everything good above? Well, pull that transmission. Quick-shifting at full-throttle repeatedly and racing are hard on the trans. Pull it and check everything with a dial caliper against the repair manual. I found 2 of my shift forks had worn down past the service limit as well as 2 gears with worn dogs. The good news is that it is a cassette transmission on the Gen 4 and you can have the entire transmission out of the bike in less than an hour.

6.) You can look at getting a shift star (http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodk74,zx10r,11-14.html). It helps some. It's not a silver bullet, but it makes the shifting more positive for sure.

7.) Shifting still not good enough? There are some alternate shift-arms and gears available in the race kit bin from Kawasaki.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts