Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone use a Gear indicator to show which gear they are in. I have recently designed one myself at a fraction of the cost of the Datatool one.
I personly find it very useful as I sometimes forget which gear i am in on my zx10. This being my first big bike.

Adam

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
theres a buncha people on here that have them and a few others have made their own, you should post up pics of yours to show.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine cost me about £5 to make myself. I could probably make it even cheaper if i wanted too.

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
I got a Gipro gear indicator...I was the same way wasnt sure what gear I was in, but now that Im used to the bike I dont really use it as much, but still nice to have.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'd love to know how!

·
Registered
700 Posts
nice i never mess with surface mount stuff as it is so hard to solder. what did you use to solder them without overheating the IC's. There rated normaly at 300* for less than 5-10 sec. and a normal soldering iron runs in the 850 range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just used a soldering iron (Weller) it has adjustable heat control so I can set it to around 300 degrees.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Not bad looking Adam..
What type of solder you use? Surface mounts are a bitch we do them at work also have a wave machine whcih i prefer..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just used lead free solder and soldered everything manually. It's ok if i'm only making of them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wish I had the know how to make one, because I would like to have one just don't want to spend the $$ on it. I wouldn't mind learning how to either.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
ditto... I really am interested i the gear indicator DS from healtech, plugs into the diagnostic port of the bike...

·
Registered
588 Posts
So when is the "how-to" going up on this gear indicator? I don't mind surface mount, did the ones on my speedo with no problem, just a little tedious.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah would be nice to find a good how to....

That or let us know how much it would take for you to make some for some forum members :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts