Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a GiPro w/ATRE but ended up selling it because I didn't want the TRE. However, I'd still like to have a gear indicator of some sort. In my opinion the only gears that really matter are 1st, neutral and 6th lol. 1st and neutral are obviously easy but honestly if I could have a dash light similar to the neutral green light that indicated being in 6th gear I'd be set! I hate trying to shift into 7th.

Does anything like this exist? Is it possible to make one? Has anyone had any experience with the cheap magnetic ones on eBay? I've read a little on them but no first hand opinions, especially not with the 10. Any other suggestions also welcome, thanks.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I had a GiPro w/ATRE but ended up selling it because I didn't want the TRE. However, I'd still like to have a gear indicator of some sort. In my opinion the only gears that really matter are 1st, neutral and 6th lol. 1st and neutral are obviously easy but honestly if I could have a dash light similar to the neutral green light that indicated being in 6th gear I'd be set! I hate trying to shift into 7th.

Does anything like this exist? Is it possible to make one? Has anyone had any experience with the cheap magnetic ones on eBay? I've read a little on them but no first hand opinions, especially not with the 10. Any other suggestions also welcome, thanks.

Did you miss my Sticky in the Performance Section? :dontknow: :

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41297

You can turn the TRE off and just have a Gear indicator no MESSING please read.

PS....I made my own Gear Indicator have a manual switch to run TRE or NOt....I am not sure the last time I activated it meaning I don't need or miss it. :badteeth::dontknow::wink:

bloo

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
A gear indicator costs $140 so the ATRE plus indicator is actually a bargain.
Accumen and Healtech electronics both make a gear indicator. I have the healTech, has ZERO lag and works/reads gear while clutch is pulled in or out. Not HUGE like the ATRE indicator either.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yeah but for the money I decided to sell it instead of letting so much functionality go to waste. If I have no other options I could go that route though, thanks.
There's really not much function in a GiPro....you get a Gear indicator choose to fool the ECU what gear your in ALL THE TIME OR CHOOSE NOT TO FOOL AND GO and go normal mode.....not a bad price for a Gear Indicator I use to charge the same price for mine when I made them. :wink:

bloo

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
accumen in the UK makes a good one. you have to buy the little harness and the indicator, but it is plug and play.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
HealTech also makes just a gear indicator that simply plugs into the diagnostic port harness next to ecu. Sees what the ecu sees regarding gear position. Go on their sire and select gear indicators, it will show it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
accumen in the UK makes a good one. you have to buy the little harness and the indicator, but it is plug and play.
Ohhhh you made them? Well is my idea for a 6th gear light similar to the neutral light at all possible?

Neverendingmods, I thought Healtech made the GiPro w/ATRE
Yeah I use to make them and it's possible to do what you want RTM the info. is out there on the net....... RTM you will have to search around though to get that info. I haven't been active in this for awhile or interested in revisiting this at this time....sorry :sad:

Rafa....here is your Accumen against my Home Made Gear Indicator in it's first phase before production I think you will see it's a little slow. :wink:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x34/zx-10r_album/?action=view¤t=gearindicator.mp4

bloo

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Yeah I use to make them and it's possible to do what you want RTM the info. is out there on the net....... RTM you will have to search around though to get that info. I haven't been active in this for awhile or interested in revisiting this at this time....sorry :sad:

Rafa....here is your Accumen against my Home Made Gear Indicator in it's first phase before production I think you will see it's a little slow. :wink:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x34/zx-10r_album/?action=view¤t=gearindicator.mp4

bloo
Haha i see... home made looks good!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Haha i see... home made looks good!
yeah still running mine to this day one of my Favorite Mods. :thumbsup:

bloo

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a Gipro on my Ninja 1000. There is a lag just like the video shows. Also, when I pull the clutch in coasting to a stop it shows 6th gear even if I am in 4th.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
No lag on the HealTech DS series. None at all and shows every gear correctly no matter what.
the DS series comes preprogrammed but on certain older bikes and non 10r models there is also a TEACH mode. But not needed on the 10rmine and zero lag with correct gear position show always.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just went on the Healtech website. It seems my Ninja1000 doesn't have a gear position sensor built in so the problems that I am having are normal. Oh well. It is still better than nothing.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Isn't their a teach mode or is it not worth trying to do. Seems without a gear position sensor there is no way for bike to know what gear its in no matter what.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
What does RTM mean? And how complicated would a 6th gear light be?

Remember(R)The(T)Mallamo(M) :dontknow::lol: If I find an old link on just LED wiring I will post it up.

bloo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts