Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So as I posted back in the Tech section, I completed my custom gear indicator. I built my own because I didn't want to shell out for the GiPro, and I don't really care about the TRE capabilities. Also I am not a fan of the way it looks.

So here is my final result:

I've been talking with bluedevil, and we are gonna send each other our gear indicators to compare. He will make a video showing them both in action at the same time, and I will find out the best way to mount his on a Gen2 10R.
The key observation in the video will be reaction speed. Mine appears to respond instantaneously, but this will be a good test.

I designed this for the 06/07 model 10R, but talking with bluedevil its clear that it will work just fine on the 04/05.

I still have 3 of these kits to sell ($50 shipped). I can make more but it will take a little longer as I will have to order more parts. These are the installation & calibration instructions I wrote up (with pics!):
http://www.dropman.com/up/gi_instructions.pdf
You can get a good idea of how it works by reading this.

Kit includes:

I have not found a great way to make an attractive sealed housing without a ton of work. For mine, I popped out a bunch of blank button panels from dead cars, cut a display-sized hole in one of those and super-glued it to the indicator.
I put limo tint on the display to make it readable in direct sunlight and not too bright at night. It looks good, but it is not sealed (no need for weather proofing in Arizona). If there was a bigger market for this thing I could have some kind of cool custom plastic injection molded encasing designed, but for these low quantities it would just be stupidly expensive.

So to be clear - the kit doesn't include a housing. It does include the limo tint though. If you want I will include one of the button panels I have, but if you want something enclosed, you will have to come up with something yourself.
Here the panels I have:

Questions? Comments?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to create a junction harness?
My thoughts were to create a connector that basically allows you to plug into the existing harness, but has the extra wire(s) needed for the indicator. For example, on the front, you would unplug the existing harness and plug your harness in between them. On the two wires that you need on the front, they would already be part of your connector and not a splice.

I still have 2 years on a warranty that by splicing, could void it unless I remove any mods before my services and then put them back on again afterwards. Not worth the work.

Looks good though. Nice Job.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You are being innovative with creating new products, which is awesome! I feel that the GiPro has a more appealing display and may be smaller than your attempt. You have "copied" the GiPro display for the most part. Now try to use your knowledge with this circuitry and develop a new display that is built into the factory speedo/tach. Using, for instance, the clock display as a gear indicator. That would be badass!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I built this thing from scratch, I did not look at the GiPro at all for reference. I just built what I thought would look & work good on my bike.
I picked a white display to match the console's backlight, I like this better than the red or blue. However the GI pro does have a nicer case. The GI pro has a 1 inch display, mine is 0.6". I think this is a better size, but that's just a personal opinion.
Still, the GiPro is a nice product, I just didn't want to spend that much on what is essentially a simple device. Also I had fun designing this, I think it's more rewarding.

Edit: the tint I put on it makes it look much nicer than the bare display (with yellowish unlit segments), pictures don't do it justice:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
how much? haha you can market that as a .net exclusive

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
gi pro's suck compared to the custom ones. ask bloo for the vid he made.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah bloo said the GiPro takes like 0.3 seconds to react to the gear change, which sucks.
Also its wicked expensive.
I'm selling these last 3 for $50 shipped.
Anyone local in Phoenix? Come check it out!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yeah bloo said the GiPro takes like 0.3 seconds to react to the gear change, which sucks.
Also its wicked expensive.
I'm selling these last 3 for $50 shipped.
Anyone local in Phoenix? Come check it out!
i got the gipro and love it. i just like knowing what gear i'm in, but i did hate paying like 130 for it. i live in tempe where you at in phx? i wouldn't mind checking one out for the wife's bike.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
will this work with a TRE? I know Bloo had some probs initially making it work with for example ivan's TRE

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got the gipro and love it. i just like knowing what gear i'm in, but i did hate paying like 130 for it. i live in tempe where you at in phx? i wouldn't mind checking one out for the wife's bike.
In Gilbert. Send me a PM with your number, I'll give you a call.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will this work with a TRE? I know Bloo had some probs initially making it work with for example ivan's TRE
I think this shouldn't be a problem, as long as you are taking the gear position measurement directly from th sensor, not from the TRE.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well here is the first test on the rear stand. I must say I’m very impressed so far. I still need to do a run on the street to get the best comparison between my Gear Indicator and Pieters but I bet it will do alright we’ll see. Also, the programming is easier than anything out there, no buttons to push just run the bike through the gears and it will learn them by itself. It installs just like my Gear Indicator just Tap Power, Ground and the ECU wire. I will update later but here is the quick vid. In my garage on the rear stand my Gear Indicator is the one mounted to the Instrument Cluster in Red.

[URL=http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x34/zx-10r_album/forums/?action=view&current=CLIP0009.flv][/URL]

bloo

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice vid bloo, thanks for the effort! What did you think of the way the limo tint affects the display?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Nice vid bloo, thanks for the effort! What did you think of the way the limo tint affects the display?
I didn't install it yet. I want to see the wash out first plus without
gluing it I don't know how I want to install it. I will be sending your Indicator back so don't want to ruin it.

I have a couple suggestions on your choice of wires like using solid wire is a no no for taps, we can talk about that on the phone if you like. Also, unless your Unit has a 5V regulator It may not be possible to work with a TRE, we can talk about that as well....anyway awesome job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks man.
It does have a 5V regulator.
Good point about the solid wire on taps, but in this case it seems to work great, but I will keep that in mind, for future iterations.
However it does make it really easy to insert and solder into the board that way. I suppose I can retain that by just switching the other wires to stranded.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Thanks man.
It does have a 5V regulator.
Good point about the solid wire on taps, but in this case it seems to work great, but I will keep that in mind, for future iterations.
However it does make it really easy to insert and solder into the board that way. I suppose I can retain that by just switching the other wires to stranded.
exactly, just switch the male connector wires and your good to go, the solid will fail on that end. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool. Feel free to cut up the tint and stick it on, I have tons of the the stuff. You stick it on by removing the liner, its kinda tricky, but the tint does have an adhesive side.
Don't worry about getting it stuck to the display, it will come off if you peel it off, just like the tint on a car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts