Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 100 miles on my new DC III's and there is a big ole screw in the rear I just picked up during lunch. Gonna try a plug, but still don't really trust them... :angryfire:angryfire:suicide::rant::machinegu:shit::shit::shit:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
plug it and burn off the extra. You will have no probs. I'd lay money down on it.
I have plugged so many tires, done track days and raced with them in and not once have i had a problem.
Yeah it sucks but it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Same thing happened to one of the guys I ride with too. He plugged it last year and still is riding with no problems

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Plug it and don't look back, use the cement along with the plug or better yet get yourself one of the StopnGo tire plug kits and keep it in your tank bag or under the rear seat. Link is below!

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

·
Registered
282 Posts
Feel for ya bro! Lived in the UK for 7 years and maaaaan do those dudes scatter tons of screws all over the roads (I can't figure out why they are all over the place)!

Anyways, used to get 3 back tire punctures per year, so been through every type of screw, nail, or just other sharp things.

If the puncture is relatively in the middle (2 inches from centre) you should be find as there is very little deforming of the middle part of the tire. But if the puncture is beyond that, extreme riding may deforem the tire (in the turns) and it is not recommended. But plud the centre and you're as good as new!

·
Registered
500 Posts
just happened to me about 1000 miles ago, except it was a nail. i plugged it and it hasnt lost a pound of pressure yet!! never really trusted them before but im sold now

·
T Double D
870 Posts
ive personally pluged some no problems

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I run exclusively plugged tires on my stuntbike. The tire I'm running now has one of those "mushroom" plugs.. that thing looks like it will do the job nicely b/c it can't possibly pull out.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here it is... we will see how it holds up. As you can see, it still has the tits on it. Hell, I have not even gotten them up to temps or hit any twisties yet!

Also, for the T-Rex stand argument, notice mine is a one piece design like the pit bull. If you want the one piece you will need to specify them when you order otherwise they will ship the bolt together unit. It does have a bolt on handle, but that is it, otherwise it is a one piece unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
right on the the right side of the pluggable zone. 1.5" over to the left and I wouldn't have felt safe pushing it on a track day.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
also look on the bright side. you just got a free screw. You can use it to hang up a picture of your 10 :)

Reactions: bird_dog0347

·
Registered
132 Posts
i picked one up on the way home from the dealership with mey new 09 6r...talk about a bad day.. dealer sold me the tire at cost and installed it for free. i made sure to get the old tire, after reading this thread im glad i kept the tire.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i picked one up on the way home from the dealership with mey new 09 6r...talk about a bad day.. dealer sold me the tire at cost and installed it for free. i made sure to get the old tire, after reading this thread im glad i kept the tire.
Wanna sell the tire?

·
Registered
35 Posts
BirdDog,
The only kind of plug that I'll use on a motorcycle tire is the type that you have to remove the tire to install from the inside of the tire. The plug is made of rubber and shaped like a thumbtack with the "head" of the tack on the inside of your tire so that the rotational forces acting on the plug cannot pull it through the hole.

There is probably someone in your area that will make this kind of repair. I seriously wouldn't use a straight-sided car-style plug on a motorcycle tire as there is no margin for error on a two wheeler when it comes to tire failure.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like a criticism, I just want to be sure you're making an informed decision.

Also, this kind of "from the inside" plug reduces the speed rating of the tire by one level. It should be fine for street and recreational canyon riding...

Good luck,
-Will

·
Registered
162 Posts
cycle gear road hazard warranty ftw :cool:

i picked up a nail in a pirelli tire on my 636 after about 800 miles and got a new one at no charge except to rebuy the warranty for the new tire and the fee to mount and balance. it sure beats buying a new tire because of something like a nail that you have no control over.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've run push in plugs and mushroom plugs for years...never a problem. I do admit that I only use the mushroom plugs these days though.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Should be safe there. I had to plug my rear tire from a screw hole last fall also. I pulled the tire and patched it from the inside over the winter though. You should be OK.. :smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts