Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, have a technical question here to which I need answers for badly.
Currently I live in Thailand, and in January 2007 95 octane gas / fuel will be banned from all gas pumps. Only to be replaced with E10 Gasohol. 10% ethanol - 90% 95 octane.
The other alternative is regular 91 octane gas / fuel
My question is this.
Can my 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R run safely on Gasohol? Or should I use the regular 91 octane gas / fuel?

·
Registered
265 Posts
bkkninja said:
Hi Guys, have a technical question here to which I need answers for badly.
Currently I live in Thailand, and in January 2007 95 octane gas / fuel will be banned from all gas pumps. Only to be replaced with E10 Gasohol. 10% ethanol - 90% 95 octane.
The other alternative is regular 91 octane gas / fuel
My question is this.
Can my 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R run safely on Gasohol? Or should I use the regular 91 octane gas / fuel?
Kawasaki recommends a minimum octane of 90 for the ZX10 so I'd say you'd be OK with the 91 and that's what I'd run. Less energy in the E10 and therefore less HP.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
2 questions:

What octane rating method do they use in Thailand?
Is your bike US or Euro?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lavudyar said:
2 questions:

What octane rating method do they use in Thailand?
Is your bike US or Euro?
No idea on what method they use for octane rating.
Bike is euro spec.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well if the octane rating method is the same as in the US, the 91 octane is a no brainer. Hell I'd run it here if I could find it. Twould prolly make the bike run better than the 93 we have here....

D

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what I understand is that the 91 has a lower flashpoint than 95. Hence 95 gives a bigger bang for the buck.
Secondly I have a little sticker on the tank above the filler cap telling me only to use 95 or there will be serious damage to engine if using a lower octane rating such as 91.
If I use 91 will engine start pinking (knocking) and how the hell I would hear it with me helmet on.
So the question remains shall I gamble and take the 91 or take the gasohol with corrosive ability to eat up anything made of rubber n plastic?
I am running out of time and need to decide which route to follow.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds like you’re using a different method for rating octane than we do here in the US, where we average Research Octane Number (RON) and the Motor Octane Number (MON). They’re probably using the RON, that’s what most countries do. So it sounds like you’re stuck using the E10. Here in New England, I think that all gas has 5% ethanol to replace MTBE and I don't think I've had any problems that can be attributed to the gas quality.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kat_man said:
Sounds like you’re using a different method for rating octane than we do here in the US, where we average Research Octane Number (RON) and the Motor Octane Number (MON). They’re probably using the RON, that’s what most countries do. So it sounds like you’re stuck using the E10. Here in New England, I think that all gas has 5% ethanol to replace MTBE and I don't think I've had any problems that can be attributed to the gas quality.
Yes that it! It is RON we are using here. Still not so keen on the E10. Anybody use RON 91 on their 10?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Buy a pc3 and get it tuned to run on what ever gas is easiest to get. Guys over here run 87-89 octane in their bikes with no prob " at the strip". VPMR9 is 89 octane race gas and works wonders on hp numbers. Just get a map made for the gas and the bike will run much better than you would expect.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd say you're stuck using the E10. You definitely don’t want any knocking or detonation going on as you surely will running something 5% less than specified as a minimum.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
bkkninja said:
what I understand is that the 91 has a lower flashpoint than 95. Hence 95 gives a bigger bang for the buck.
Secondly I have a little sticker on the tank above the filler cap telling me only to use 95 or there will be serious damage to engine if using a lower octane rating such as 91.
If I use 91 will engine start pinking (knocking) and how the hell I would hear it with me helmet on.
So the question remains shall I gamble and take the 91 or take the gasohol with corrosive ability to eat up anything made of rubber n plastic?
...damn dude. Didn't realize that Kawi recommended diff octane levels in diff countries. My bad. Don't know how good the octane boostin' products are in your area, but I doubt it would be safe enough to use them with the 91.... :headshake

D

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Octane boosters not available in this freakin country.
The other option would be to pack up the 10 and head home and get the proper fuel ie. 95 octane. Still can't do that either.
It a freakin nightmare here. 91 = pre-detonation. E10 = less power & corrosive for rubber parts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Gasahol is substantially more damaging in "open" systems that are exposed to the air. For example.... marine applications like boats. Their fuel systems are not closed up like automotive ones are so its not really as much of an issue.

10% ethanol or 5% methanol is fine to use in your bike.

Just ride the damn thing! :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
bkkninja said:
what I understand is that the 91 has a lower flashpoint than 95. Hence 95 gives a bigger bang for the buck..
You have to compress it more to get the same burn rate as a lower octane fuel, if you can do this then yes more bang for your buck.

bkkninja said:
You will probably not be able to hear it if it happens

bkkninja said:
Ethanol has a power release of roughly 2/3 that of regular fuel, that being said if it is 10% ethanol and 90% 95 octane I am guessing you would be around 92-93 octane. I would calculate it out exactly, but my calculator is still recovering from another post

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Read your owner's manual.

Mine explicitly says that gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol is acceptable.

It's FINE with the E10. You won't notice any difference in performance. A lot of gasoline in North America already contains up to 10% alcohol. It is a non issue.

·
Registered
919 Posts
bkkninja said:
Yes, but your conclusions are incorrect.....Yes, you have a lower flashpoint with 91 which means it is easier to ignite and get more complete combustion with it...That easier combustion is also what can cause knocking...You have to have higher compression to get the same flashpoint with a higher octane...

This is why a stock bike will run rich (less HP) if they run a higher octane than is needed for the compression ratio..Because the fuel has a higher flashpoint you are less likely to get a complete combustion of the fuel with the same compression...

·
Registered
919 Posts
bkkninja said:

Yes, you have a lower flashpoint with 91..However, this means it is easier to ignite and get more complete combustion with it...That easier combustion is also what can cause knocking...You have to have higher compression to get the same flashpoint with a higher octane...

This is why a stock bike will run rich (less HP) if they run a higher octane than is needed for the compression ratio..Because the fuel has a higher flashpoint you are less likely to get a complete combustion of the fuel with the same compression...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
bkkninja said:
Wrong - octane is purely a rating of detonation resistance and has nothing to do with the energy available in the gas.
bkkninja said:
Secondly I have a little sticker on the tank above the filler cap telling me only to use 95 or there will be serious damage to engine if using a lower octane rating such as 91. If I use 91 will engine start pinking (knocking) and how the hell I would hear it with me helmet on. So the question remains shall I gamble and take the 91 or take the gasohol with corrosive ability to eat up anything made of rubber n plastic? I am running out of time and need to decide which route to follow.
The 95 recommendation for the Euro bikes applies to octane measured via the RON method which would equal the US/Canada 91 (actually closer to our 87) or so octane number measured via RON+MON/2. That's why I asked which method is used to measure your gas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts