Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a question for everyone who has done full system header installations. In the past on other bikes, I always installed a NEW gasket between the cylinder head and the header pipe. I felt like it was a good idea to possibly prevent having to take the whole thing apart again and fix a gas leak up there (especially on this bike where the fit is pretty tight).

I have noticed that along with NO REAL DIRECTIONS, these new full systems do not come with new gaskets. I ordered some new gaskets for the ZX10 (@ $5.00 each x 4), and now have them available to install when I do my header installation.

Did any of you guys do this? If so or if not, why? If you did, how difficult was it to remove the old gaskets. They are a copper sandwich type ring that fits on the face of the header pipe.

Thanks in advance for your opinions...

Take care,

JJ

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well depends upon what kind of shape your gaskets are in. I usually install aftermarket pipe as soon as I get the bike so the factory ones are always in good shape. I really don't think you need to change them unless they are in rough condition.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I always use new gaskets. They are not hard to remove. You should be able to pop them out with your finger. The new gaskets will not want to stay in the exhaust ports. The way to fix that is easy. Take some petroleum jelly, and spread a little on the the gaskets. This will make them sticky, and they will stay in the ports while you fit your headers on. The heat from the engine will evaporate the little petroleum jelly you put on.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
If you have trouble getting the old gasket out a dental pick works nice I also put new gaskets in every time. Too much shiot to take back off if it leaks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I always put new gaskets on. There is never a perfect fit between the header and head, and after the gasket crushes once, it may not have enough "give" to seal the next time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
everytime I don't put new gaskets in I get a leak and then piss and moan for a week waiting for the gaskets to show. I don't really like this additional step and the service manuals never covers it (how to do a job twice that is) :dontknow:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I will be putting the new ones in. I have always done it that way too, I was just curious with this ZX since I hadn't read anything about it on this site. I really believe it's money and time well spent, to not have to mess with it in the near future...lots of panels and other crap to move!

SP8; good tip about the PJ to hold them in place while mounting the pipe. I may give that a try..

Thanks again everyone,

JJ

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
SP8 said:
I always use new gaskets. They are not hard to remove. You should be able to pop them out with your finger. The new gaskets will not want to stay in the exhaust ports. The way to fix that is easy. Take some petroleum jelly, and spread a little on the the gaskets. This will make them sticky, and they will stay in the ports while you fit your headers on. The heat from the engine will evaporate the little petroleum jelly you put on.
Yup +1 but i use strawberry jelly instead :mrgreen: actually i use a small bit of silicone.

BD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts