Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok building my new to me zx10 and got a big box of parts in today. One was fairings and a gas tank I bought from a guy. I have to race in 2 weeks. Sportbike track gear said if I ordered fairings they would show up around the 30th... my event is the 25-27th lol. So found a guy parting out a zx10 and picked up his fairing and tank. Anyway. My old tank has 2 vent holes underneath. The new one has 3. One by the fuel pump and 2 up top. Are these all vent holes? Or can I merge the top 2? Do I even need to run hoses.

2nd... my clip ons. When I put them on the brake lever hits the fairings when I turn around... is this a pretty common issue? Are there any clipons that don’t do this?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the same bike with race fairings and Vortex clip-ons. The clip-ons should absolutely not be hitting the bodywork at any range of movement.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,589 Posts
You got a California tank. There's 1 port for the overfill and 2 ports for the charcoal canister. One of those is the fuel return line from that. You can plug them all, but if you overfill the tank you'll put the fuel over the tank. You should plug the emissions stuff and run the overflow line correctly to prevent that. That's my recommendation.

As for the clip-ons, what ones did you get? How did you line them up? Most likely you have them adjusted too far forward and that's why they hit. They shouldn't. It's manageable if you prefer them with the sweep they have now for the racing. You just need to be aware that you can't go full lock on the steering when turning in the pits.

·
Registered
531 Posts
On the Gen 4 Cali tank, are the two spare hoses the ones side by side? One marked with a blue dot and the other with a red dot?

I just removed and plugged those two outlets and want to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
2012 ZX-10R
714 Posts
Correct two with blue an red dot, on the right, normally go to the charcoal canister. One on left is to the drain around the filler neck....

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,589 Posts
Routing for the charcoal canister. Remove this and block all ports. The remaining port is for the filler overflow. Run the hose down below the engine to prevent a fire risk if it spills on a hot engine.

Reactions: mte78

·
Registered
2012 ZX-10R
714 Posts
I would go with what SkyDork says, he knows his stuff, I’ve never deleted the canister, but I would be worried leaving a vent un-blocked, it could cause gas to spill if the bike tipped over.

In the old days, early 2000’s zx-6 the fuel filler cap was vented with a one-way valve to let air in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts