Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to give you guys a heads up. I was replacing some body work on my 04' ZX10R and when I removed the left side frame cover (plastic), fuel started to leak out. I checked it out and it was a screw that was way to long installed on both sides that had pierced the tank on the left side, the right side it started to go through. The dealer said he would take a picture and see what Kawasaki will say. Now I am stuck with a leaking tank and no warranty. Does anyone out there have any ideas for a fix?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
hayabusa57 said:
Just want to give you guys a heads up. I was replacing some body work on my 04' ZX10R and when I removed the left side frame cover (plastic), fuel started to leak out. I checked it out and it was a screw that was way to long installed on both sides that had pierced the tank on the left side, the right side it started to go through. The dealer said he would take a picture and see what Kawasaki will say. Now I am stuck with a leaking tank and no warranty. Does anyone out there have any ideas for a fix?
jb weld will work for a quick fix or i would just have it welded.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
This has shappened to at least two members. One a dealer put the wrong screws back after service.
The other was Ironman, a member here, that did it himself. Ironman patched his with JB weld or something like it made for patching gas tanks. Good luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Exactly which panel are we talking about?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Black plastic panel that covers subframe right under seat and meets with tank

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZX10Miami said:
Black plastic panel that covers subframe right under seat and meets with tank
Thats right. I am going to see the dealer today for pics, however I am not holding out any false hopes that they will cover this.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
hayabusa57 said:
Thats right. I am going to see the dealer today for pics, however I am not holding out any false hopes that they will cover this.
Was bike serviced at dealer? Have you taken the tank off? Was bike new or used?
If you haven't taken those bolts off and the bike was new when you got it, then the dealer may be responsible for the mistake if they've serviced it.
Tanks are expensive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have removed the tank once, so I am not even going to try and warranty it. Besides, the possibility exists that I am the Hack.:dontknow: I will try an repair it through JB weld or real weld. I will give you guys an update. Thanks for the idea's.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah the dealer I bought mine from did the same thing when they prepped the bike. It was warrantied. I had that tank welded by a shop and they did a pretty good job on it. I think it cost me $50 to have it welded.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I made the same mistake and the area it happened at is to tight to just weld. I used JB weld and 4-5 months later, it is still holding up good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had same thing. Kawi replaced the tank in one week no problem. Now im waiting if they will take old tank back. If not i will give it to my guy to make a CF cover for it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This problem also happend to me, i was swaping out all my bolts in the bike and when i losened the two bolts that hold the side panels on gas just started to pour out of both sides, and since it is an 04 model and i just discovered this it was not covered by kawaski, so i just jb welded both sides and it is done.

This is a terible design, and im actually surprised it hasnt happned to more people.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RoadPizza said:
This problem also happend to me, i was swaping out all my bolts in the bike and when i losened the two bolts that hold the side panels on gas just started to pour out of both sides, and since it is an 04 model and i just discovered this it was not covered by kawaski, so i just jb welded both sides and it is done.

This is a terible design, and im actually surprised it hasnt happned to more people.
Ya, Road Pizza. I have put a rubber cork, held in by the screw until I finish the tank off. I am not going to deal with Kawi on this because of it not being worth the time and aggravation. I have purchased the JB that says good on aluminum and steel. I am assuming that you simply JB'd it from the outside. Is this correct? Any tips? Thanks. Michael. PS Nice screen-name. It is always the humble ones that scare me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
hayabusa57 said:
I am not going to deal with Kawi on this because of it not being worth the time and aggravation.
Uh?!? It took me 5 min to explain and a week after got new tank instaled. Cost me no money or aggravation.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hayabusa57 said:
Ya, Road Pizza. I have put a rubber cork, held in by the screw until I finish the tank off. I am not going to deal with Kawi on this because of it not being worth the time and aggravation. I have purchased the JB that says good on aluminum and steel. I am assuming that you simply JB'd it from the outside. Is this correct? Any tips? Thanks. Michael. PS Nice screen-name. It is always the humble ones that scare me.
yup did it from the outside, a dab of jb weld, then a Penniiee (ya i know i spelled it wrong) ground way down, then sealed around it, then ground down the bolts and reinstalled. And the whole dealer situation i tried explaining it to them, they stated since i have done modifications to the bike, i.e. aftermarket exhaust, fender eliminator, and replaced some bolts on the bike that i did the damage to the tank, my friends had to remove me from the dealership because it got extreamly heated after about 10min trying to explain the situation to the window lickers at the dealership...If your ever in so cal never use cal coast motorsports, freaking jerk offs. but enough on that rant, it's just a bad design by kawaski, hopefully they will fix it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a said:
Uh?!? It took me 5 min to explain and a week after got new tank instaled. Cost me no money or aggravation.
Just to explain, I have done the de-smog on this bike, even if Kawi did originally install that screw, it had to be me that reinstalled it, (my bad) so it would be my word against theirs, coupled with the warranty being up about 4 months ago, etc. I like to fight the battles with a little more of an edge and I can't stand to lose, so hopefully I can fix it myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Damn it, I really wish I saw this thread prior to replacing the left side plastic.

The size of that screw is :bs: there is no need to be that long. Anyway, my wife is a welder so now I will give her a project.

Just pisses me off. 1. that I was that stupid 2. that something that simple was designed badly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts