Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GAP insurance

any advice on where to get it? the little reading that i did said not to buy it from the dealer, but id like to get it "just incase".

looking for advice/recommendations

·
Registered
562 Posts
i know from personal experience most insurance brokers will try to find you the best deal, but if you know someone at insurance co. they could possibly get underwriter to get you a better deal... and tha applies to regular insurance as well..

·
Registered
159 Posts
my friend bought a busa form the dealer brand new $11200 out the door. he also bought about $1600 dollars of extras (they ripped him a new one on that). and he got gap insurance from the dealer for $350. about 2 month latter the bike got stolen from in front oh his house. not to smart to leve it sitting out side. his insurance company was only goning to cover $8900 of that. the best thing he did was buy the gap insurance and they paid off the rest of the loan. he would have been stuck with $3900 lone on a bike that he didnt even have. so i say its worth it. i guess it up to you on what you want to do though.

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
I got financed through State Farm Bank. They offer some of the best APR's around and starting September 2006, they include GAP insurance with their loans.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've never purchased it, but researched it quite a bit when I bought a silly expensive car a few months into my first post college job.

At any rate, the deal was it needed to be purchased within say 30 days of delivery. It is not something you can traditionally opt for down the road.

At least that was the case in 1993.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've gotten it on my last 3 cars. I never needed it because I kick ass at negotiating! :mrgreen: I had an Isuzu Amigo that we totalled. USAA paid it off and I ended up being ahead. My wife wrecked our '05 Grand Cherokee and I made over $5k on that wreck. I got it on my '05 Magnum and hopefully I dont need it.

It's WELL worth it. Some lenders wont even write a loan without gap insurance. I havent had to use it, but just as easily as I made money on the wrecks, I could have been upside down.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the dealer wanted almost $800 for GAP, from the little research that ive done on the net though ive found it for $300. and the company sounds reputable, so far...

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
got gap on my nissan armada. figured if i was spending 33k on a vehicle, the extra 600 to make sure it got fully paid off in the even of a loss was worth it. should it get stolen or something, i'm covered. see, most of the time, the insurance companies will use low blue book (wholesale) when deciding whether or not to total your vehicle. should you owe more than wholesale, you are screwed. then your still paying on a vehicle you dont have. makes it that much harder to get another loan, should you need it. trust me, its good insurance!!! (i've got it on my bike as well)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just make sure you do not get it if you put a big down payment on the vehicle. GAP is designed to pay off your outstanding debt. Lets say you buy a vehicle that is 40k and you put down 20k, chances are if it is stolen/totalled it will bluebook for more than you owe. If you only put down 4k on a 40k vehicle and the above happens your 300 will be well spent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts