Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After laying my baby down at Summit Main, I began repairing and upgrading for next season. Most or my upgrades are in the suspension and tire departments One of my numerous upgrades was a resprung and revalved 08 shock. Incase anyone else is interested in making there bike better on a budget, these shocks fit flawlesly. There are only two very small issues. 1st reuse the stock dogbones b/c the 08 dogbones are 1/4 longer. Secondly im not sure if it will fit for those of us with the stock y pipe. My bike has an muzzy Gp and im in the process of up grading to a area p high mount because of ground clearance issues i ran into on the track. The resevoir on the 08 shock sits of to the right. It might clear but im not sure.

Ok let me put a stop to all of the ohlins penske and other aftermarket shock promoters. Yes given an unlimited budget those shocks are better but only if your willing to do what it takes to have the shock suited the you and your bike. What do I mean? Take that $1200 new $400-$800 used shock and just bolt it up and guess what, you have a very pretty highly adjustable paper weight. Most likley these shocks (especially used) still need to be resprund and revalved to fit the new owner, Thats an additional $300. On the other hand my shock cost $69 + shipping and will cost $300 to respring and revalve
at traxxion dynamics. I guarantee my 08 stocker w/ high speed compression will out perform the aftermarket that is not suited to the rider.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I had an 08 shock on my bike and liked it until i purchased my penske for a good price. The only reason why i went with the penske is because you can adjust ride heitgh.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had an 08 shock on my bike and liked it until i purchased my penske for a good price. The only reason why i went with the penske is because you can adjust ride heitgh.
was it resprung and revalved. Just curious

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
was it resprung and revalved. Just curious
Nope. Im just one of those lighter weight guys who can reap the benefits of the stock components. I did set the sag which helped alot.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I guarantee my 08 stocker w/ high speed compression will out perform the aftermarket that is not suited to the rider.
Well, I guarantee my pit bike will out run your zx10... after I remove one of your spark plugs.

I here what you are saying in that you can make a half ass shock out of the stocker for 3 bills or so, but don't try to compare it to ohlins or penske. You will still have the same sorry ass internals that can't compare. This may be all some want or need.

By the way my new custom penske was only $750, not $1200. Ohlins had a closeout of gen2s a year or so ago for even less.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
so do the ohlins rear shocks not have any height adjustability like the penskes? What makes the ohlins beter (if they are considered superior)

·
Registered
609 Posts
so do the ohlins rear shocks not have any height adjustability like the penskes? What makes the ohlins beter (if they are considered superior)
Ohlins are yellow (and cost more) and some confuse this with gold.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Stock shocks are ride height adjustable too. ...washers... :cool:
You are correct sir! But i can raise or lower the bike in 1 minute flat. You should know that Mikyl!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
ohlins has the feature as well. They better have it for 1200 bucks.:lol:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Notice my sig. I'm just try'n to help the masses.

:cool:
I knew you had the double clicker mikyl... I asked you a few months back if the spring could be changed in the chassis. remember?:dontknow:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I guarantee my pit bike will out run your zx10... after I remove one of your spark plugs.

I here what you are saying in that you can make a half ass shock out of the stocker for 3 bills or so, but don't try to compare it to ohlins or penske. You will still have the same sorry ass internals that can't compare. This may be all some want or need.

By the way my new custom penske was only $750, not $1200. Ohlins had a closeout of gen2s a year or so ago for even less.
OK and what is your purpose. I simply said a stock shock reworked will out perform an aftermarket that is not suited to the rider /bike. in otherwords buying a used shock may still require some work to get it right for a particular person. Congratu-f*ckinlations that you were able to find a a good deal. Does that some how change what i said or the truth of that staement. According to my math, your penske is still double what I offered as an alternative to those of us on a budget. I can careless about your pitbike. i tried to give others out there an option for track days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts