Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Gen3
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a deal for a Remus Ti full system, but for a limited time. It has a 4-2-1 arrangements.

For a gen3, would it be fine to use the full system without remapping the ECU?
I want a full system, but dyno equipped ECU remap is difficult to reach during this period.
My gen3 has two O2 sensors, if that helps.

I use the bike to commute, so I am wondering if there are downsides for using the bike with the full system at low (3~4k) to mid range (~8k) RPMs.
With the stock SS system, it is quite aged and developing red brown rust dust consistently. Other than that it's ok, and I am not losing sleep over it.
The main benefit I see getting the Remus, is reducing a few kilo of weight, adding some noise (hopefully not too much).

Other concerns are the full system causing jerky throttle response.

Notice the very long '2' section of the 4-2-1. Very different from Akra, LeoVince, Nassert Beet full systems...
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Composite material Electricity

I believe the general literature is, full system MUST be remapped, and a slip-on will benefit from a remap as well though not necessary.
If I don't, I can probably consider an aftermarket shock sooner.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,808 Posts
I would advise you not to do that. The full system does require tuning because it changes so much of the way the motor runs. As a commuter that will change the way it runs and not for the better. It should be remapped through a piggyback device or through the ECU itself. Slip-ons are one thing, but the full system is different. I'd wait on that until you can get it tuned properly to take advantage of that.

Reactions: alexei

·
Registered
782 Posts
Why not sell the 3rd gen and spend the money upgrading to a 4th gen? You'll probably get more performance bang for your buck overall.

·
Registered
Gen3
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not sell the 3rd gen and spend the money upgrading to a 4th gen? You'll probably get more performance bang for your buck overall.
I would advise you not to do that. The full system does require tuning because it changes so much of the way the motor runs. As a commuter that will change the way it runs and not for the better. It should be remapped through a piggyback device or through the ECU itself. Slip-ons are one thing, but the full system is different. I'd wait on that until you can get it tuned properly to take advantage of that.
Thanks for the replies.

I am itching and wondering of the thought of having 60mm core exhaust mufflers, how would that behave once I put it on my bike. At some points, I get very lost. Snapping me back to reality about how much money and time I am about to spend is appreciated.

For a beginner, I find the power on a Gen3 very easy to handle, specifically below 8k RPM. Off-throttle response and modulate throttle for slow speed maneuver doesn't induce jerkiness. Anything above that RPM it's a track weapon.

If I move to a Gen4 or Gen5, I would worry about the extra electronics and sensors compared to a Gen3 which is without.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,808 Posts
There is way more to the exhaust design that pipe diameter. It is a combination of diameter, length, bends, funnels, heat, etc. The entire design is to increase the scavenging of the exhaust. It is about directing the exhaust pulses and using those to keep the momentum up in the exhaust. The pulses already in the pipe can help suck the next pulse out rather than backflowing into the cylinder next to it. So it's about firing order and valve timing and how that is fed into the pipe, not strictly about the size of the pipe.

So that full exhaust would likely change the behavior of the way the bike responds off idle and in the lower RPM range. Just where you like it. The bike most likely will not run smoothly and can hesitate at part throttle. So while you don't see that now, when you throw a different exhaust on it like that everything changes and you have to retune that.

Not exactly sure why you are worried about the extra sensors. There is both a risk and a benefit to them. Not something that you should be overly worried about though. The biggest advantage moving the G4 or G5 has more to do with the frame design. Yes, the motor is more powerful and has a bunch of fancy TC features, but the main advantage is the twin spar frame versus the narrow overhead frame of the G3. Improved stability and feel. If you're happy with the G3, then keep at it. But as Porschenut mentioned, the money might be better spent upgrading the bike itself.

·
Registered
Gen3
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have not decided what to do next, but will keep that in mind.

@SkyDork
About that Gen3 vs Gen4/5 frame, can you point to my untrained eye what do you mean by "twin spar frame versus the narrow overhead frame of the G3".
Is it the way the engine head is positioned inside the frame?
Much appreciate it.
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,808 Posts
OK, well technically speaking they are both twin spar frames. I was trying to describe the way the earlier ones cantilever over the motor as oppsed to routing around it. That design was to try and narrow it. The frame mount you have circled in your images is a byproduct of that design to attach the motor. Look at the frame itself though. On the G1, G2, and G3 the frame cantilevers over the top of the motor. This design isn't as rigid as the G4/G5 frames will are straight off the steering neck and wrapping the motor. That's what I was attempting to explain in my previous post.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Gen3
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@SkyDork
Thanks, I understood what you mean and in fact I circled the position of the engine head (not the frame mount) to present how the frame of the Gen3 is routed above it, while the Gen4 frame is wrapped around. Learned something new.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,808 Posts
@SkyDork
Thanks, I understood what you mean and in fact I circled the position of the engine head (not the frame mount) to present how the frame of the Gen3 is routed above it, while the Gen4 frame is wrapped around. Learned something new.
OK, great. Maybe I just misunderstood what you meant and where you circled. If it was a just a different way to describe the same thing, then it's all good!

There's nothing wrong with the G3, but as Porschenut said though the perforamnce advantages from the G3 to G4 are not strictly related to the engine. So take that all in consideration depending on your budget and the needs.

·
Registered
Gen3
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the replies.
I'll hold the urge to upgrade components, and look forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With pcv and autotune, you can try multiple exhausts for no extra cost later down the line and when u sell your bike you can get money back if you sell them separate from the bike, which ofcourse you can’t if ECU tuned.

I regret not getting a gen4 since It would need race cams and up the rev limit to match the output of a gen 4, I haven’t ridden a gen 4 but I’m going to assume with TC and anti wheelie it will be easier to ride than the 3 even with more power. After market parts are more available on the 4 so it’s easier to pick up a better shock etc.

Picked up a low priced bitubo shock recently and that was a better upgrade than getting a full arrow exhaust.

·
Registered
Gen3
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Roidrage I think I agree with you, my bike needs a better shock, as I don't need more power.
The full system thing is just an itch, and I have decided it is wiser to just forget about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts