Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
Where are the real gains made in a full system the header itself or in the can. Looking at a 2nd gen header that is made of titanium and light as hell if you get rid of the cat, servo etc and put a decent slip on it how would that compare to a full system in terms of whp??? I know you would have an increase in overall pipe diameter coming from the head back but how much does the header itself produce in whp??

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Good morning all,
Where are the real gains made in a full system the header itself or in the can. Looking at a 2nd gen header that is made of titanium and light as hell if you get rid of the cat, servo etc and put a decent slip on it how would that compare to a full system in terms of whp??? I know you would have an increase in overall pipe diameter coming from the head back but how much does the header itself produce in whp??

thanks in advance
Unless your racing, from what I understand a full system isnt worth the $$$. I think it s been mentioned on here many times that the headers for the 2nd gen are pretty damn good themselves, and getting a cat delete pipe and a good slip on pipe will be pretty damn close to 'full system' results at a fraction of the cost

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Forgetting the money issue I personally liked the difference..On my gen 2 b4 I sold it I made 154 and change with an unmapped slip on..With a mapped beet I got a hair over 165 and most of it was twards top end but added a lil more mid to..Depending on pipe design that's what determines where the power is made.4 into 1like the old dayd was all top end but nowa days most are 4 into 2 into 1 or 4 into 1 into 2 as in the gen 2..Advantages of ti over ss is cooling and weight..Oh ti is usually about 500 more over ss..

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
the diameter of the primary tubes determines where the pick torque, 2nd gen header is about 1 and a half inches in diameter which is good for surepick torque to be produced around 10k rpm. The only downfall is it connects cyl 1 and 2, 3 and 4. 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 would be better. 4 to 1 header would also fit zx10r crazy top power band with 1.6 inches in diameter primary tubes with length of 19 inches instead of stock 21 inches. You would lose some bottom end, but the top end would be wicked (drag racers would benefit ). It's all trade off like everything in life.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Did the gen 2 even have ti headers?? If my memory is correct they didnt,i know my g3 dont..piss me off..

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the gen 2 even have ti headers?? If my memory is correct they didnt,i know my g3 dont..piss me off..
yeah they did, i actually had one sitting in my garage and picked it up thinking it was the header for my 3rd gen that i had apart...thats when i noticed the weight difference:headshake...the third gen stainless steel stock header, WITH a gutted cat weighed 13lbs, the stock second gen with a bypas pipe 6lbs:dontknow:..(trying to get as much wieght as possible off my bike)

...so thats when i started thinking about all this. The second gen header bolted right up,

·
Registered
249 Posts
the same question i've had for a while...except instead of a slip-on, i have the A&R baffles, sound pretty good and still at a fraction of the price for dual slip ons...combine that with the servo delete and cat delete....i'm happy with it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
A full system will almost always be better than the stock with a slip-on. But you also have to have some way to tune the motor to accommodate the reduced back pressure and deal with the freer flow of exhaust. But if you just want some nice sound then use the stock pipe with a slip on...much cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts