Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first of all I want to say these forums are great,I have spent countless hours reading them and learning more about my bike than ever,so thanks all for the posts.Now with that said,I have a zx10r 2004,It has 9k miles I am the second owner,the first owner did the oil change every 1k miles and changed the filter as well,he used Castrol actevo 10w-40,,,my question is I would like to switch to castrol syntec 10w-40 fully synthetic,and only do the filter and oil change every 2 to 3 k miles,,Is this a wise thing to do,or stay with a half and half so to speak.the shifting is a little ruff,but that may be couse i had a cbr900rr ,and this bike may just be a new feeling?,but yeah what do u guys think?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your bike. I think you would be fine switching to full synthetic. I've heard before that once you go full synth, you can't really go back to non synth.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You can always go back to semi-synthetic, what you're really not supposed to do is switch to synthetic after a lot of miles with regular oil...you can get leaks.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
You can always go back to semi-synthetic, what you're really not supposed to do is switch to synthetic after a lot of miles with regular oil...you can get leaks.
Eh...I know it was a worry of mine when changing oil in my truck that has 150,000 plus miles on it but when I put Valvoline's full synthetic in there from using just regular Valvoline I never noticed any leaks, not by the valve covers, nor the rear seal or anywhere else. Maybe it's just my truck, maybe it's because it's a Chevy but I'm not sure I'll fall into that myth yet. Sure as hell not on a bike with less than 10,000 miles but I've been wrong before so don't take my word on it.

I'd just be worried with the clutch always having seen regular dyno oil and moving to synthetic and wanting to slip, I think I've got that right. It was said that if you notice that though just take your clutch basket out and let it soak in the synthetic over night. Anyhow, semi synthetic could be run for 2000 miles then maybe switch to the full synthetic, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used full synthetic in my 05 and did not like how the clutch felt afterwards. It felt like it was slipping. I switched back to Motul semi synthetic. It worked great!!!! Good luck..

·
Registered
724 Posts
You're all wasting your money...put Rotella T Synthetic in it and ride. It's cheap and better than anything you're using...they use in Ferrari F1 cars for god's sake...stop wasting your money.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I haven't tried Rotella. Where can you get it? how much? Is there a bike version or just F1 cars? lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah when i change the oil I prolly will take ut the clutch as well and soak it .not sure if it was ever done in the first place,I dont think they do it when you buy it brand new do they?I may of never been done.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I haven't tride Rotella. Where can you get it? how much? Is there a bike version or just F1 cars? lol
You can get Rotella at any Wal Mart. There is no bike specific version. But, it's high quality oil and it's cheaper than anything else out there. I bought my '06 new and have used Rotella from 82 miles on, with no problems.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I run amsoil full synthetic and love the way it made my bike shift!Mine is a 05 with something like 12000 miles on it.I switched at 8000 miles no clutch probs but I do have a valve cover leaking a little oil?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I run Motul 300V and love the stuff. The oil is green going in and 3000 miles later green coming out. No viscocity brake down. Great stuff.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I haven't tride Rotella. Where can you get it? how much? Is there a bike version or just F1 cars? lol
Heh...only 1 type. You have to buy it through a Shell Distributor...go to Rotella.com and look one up near you. It's 5w40 i think...runs between $15 and $20 a gallon. You can buy it at truck stop's,etc. I have a Shell distributor near me...so I'm lucky I guess. The oil is worth it...trust me. I've used for years in many different bikes, cars, etc with no issues. I have a writeup on my website (http://drainfade.com/tech_writeups/cheap_synthetic.html), Rotella has been a big secret for years but it's starting to get popular with bikers. I just hope the price stops going up :(

P.S. The F1 cars use the same base stock as the Rotella T Synthetic.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Heh...only 1 type. You have to buy it through a Shell Distributor...go to Rotella.com and look one up near you. It's 5w40 i think...runs between $15 and $20 a gallon. You can buy it at truck stop's,etc. I have a Shell distributor near me...so I'm lucky I guess. The oil is worth it...trust me. I've used for years in many different bikes, cars, etc with no issues. I have a writeup on my website (http://drainfade.com/tech_writeups/cheap_synthetic.html), Rotella has been a big secret for years but it's starting to get popular with bikers. I just hope the price stops going up :(

P.S. The F1 cars use the same base stock as the Rotella T Synthetic.
I'd prefer to use a heavier weight oil in my sportbikes personally.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'd prefer to use a heavier weight oil in my sportbikes personally.
Uh...why ? It outperforms any other oil on the market...I've run it in all temps and conditions and have never had an issue. It's actually great for colder weather...faster warmup.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Uh...why ? It outperforms any other oil on the market...I've run it in all temps and conditions and have never had an issue. It's actually great for colder weather...faster warmup.
It's summer time.:cool: Oh, and the tranny shifts better with heavier weight oil.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's summer time.:cool: Oh, and the tranny shifts better with heavier weight oil.
I run Rotella all year round and it shifts the same no matter what the temp is. If you want to piss away money...go for it. Do you change your viscosity depending on the season ? If so that's gotta be a PITA.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I run Castrol R4 without any problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
thanks ,I have heard of rotella as well .thanks for the info,tomorow im going on a 400 mile ride up to mt baker ,ill have to pt some of the pict up when i get back :}] and as far as changing due to the temp.no i havent done that not with this bike or any others.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts