Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
İm thinking on fully carbon fibering my bike fairings by replacing OEM with carbon fiber ones. Will İ be saving allot of weight? İs it worth it??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Worth it? Depends how much you value your money. Weight savings? You're better off taking a massive shit before you go riding. OEM fairings are pretty damn light the way they are.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
IF you're looking to save weight then start with replacing the rims........a full carbon body will run you a bit of coin and the weight savings can't possibly be enough to brag about compared to what they'll run you. a few pieces here and there add some nice touches and the full carbon bikes i've seen look damn fine BUT i don't think it's that much of a savings. get some aftermarket rims AND a lightweight battery if you wanna shave some pounds off the scooter.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Not worth the money if it is just for weight savings.

Now if you like the look then might be worth.

Would i spend the money on it? Prolly not
Do i think a full carbon bike is cool? Deff do, specially if some places are painted and some are left raw CF and everything is clear coated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Worth it? Depends how much you value your money. Weight savings? You're better off taking a massive shit before you go riding. OEM fairings are pretty damn light the way they are.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

IF you're looking to save weight then start with replacing the rims........a full carbon body will run you a bit of coin and the weight savings can't possibly be enough to brag about compared to what they'll run you. a few pieces here and there add some nice touches and the full carbon bikes i've seen look damn fine BUT i don't think it's that much of a savings. get some aftermarket rims AND a lightweight battery if you wanna shave some pounds off the scooter.
What he said reducing your rotating wieght and intertia is one of the biggest savings. Carbon fairings are for looks. Except carbon wheels and maybe frame swingarm etc

·
Registered
831 Posts
Not worth it and it's been done soooo many times at this point it's rather passe. They also make you look like a tool if you have big strips.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm not so negative about carbon fairings,and I would definatelly do it again. ( I already have cf fairings on my gixxer).

But as others mentioned before,it would be better to get some weight off of the rotating things first,then unsprung mass,the move to cf fairings,tank etc.

Now as far as weight savings you should be very carefull,and deffinatelly ask questions before you buy it. I have found differences in weight more than 1,5 kg.I would only buy a set if it was close to 3kg total. Above 4 kg,it ain't worth it because you can find light fiberglass fairings at 5.5 kg for half the price. I'm talking about track fairings,no lights etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yea, i was thinking about buying a busa and chroming it out, stretching it 18", and putting a 300 rear tire on it..... no one has ever done that before.....

'Sarcasm is a lost art'

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for the info... İ have compared the carbon with OEM and there is not much weight difference like you all say... Where İ live there is yet to be a full carbon bike, so although for you guys it may seem very ordinary for me its something new.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
The carbon saves weigh but it isn't crazy. I'm pretty sure fiber glass or any other set of race plastics will be just as light. The only thing that saves alot is the tank but your better off with aluminum and be prepared to lose $2000. My carbon is somewhere inthe order of $6000. Other than looks And having the only one it's rather pointless and I wouldn't do it again.

What bike is this for anyway?

·
Registered
12 Posts
but the question is who and where can you buy the carbon fiber fairings from.. i looked around and its either form overseas or its race fairings that need to b cut

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
just get a lightweight battery and cf/kevlar tank:cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I put every carbon fiber piece I would find on my R6, did it look good? I think so. Did it drop the weight? Probably not. Would I do it to my ZX? Hell no! Cost too much and was really only cosmetic. You can get some nice wheels for what you'd spend to make everything cf.

·
Registered
774 Posts
my plan costs about $1400 and drops about 14 lbs changing 2 pieces:cool:

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
OPP is soon dropping the cf stuff so b quick if your going with them..
I had same idea and asked but they emailed me back sayin that they r gettin out of cf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts