Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ran my 2018 ZX10R off track this weekend. I laid the bike down gently in the sand and broke nothing except my ego.

The bike started back up and I ran two more laps before being summoned to pit back in. At the end of the 2nd lap right before I pit in the bike made a loud clicking noise that I think was my fuel pump running dry. I shut the bike off immediately and coasted in. I never did get the bike to restart. When the key is turned on with switch in OFF position then put switch in ON position I do not hear the fuel pump priming. Bike will crank for a quick second and thats it. No fuel.

I haven't unloaded my trailer yet but is this a fuel pump or could it be a short in the switch itself? Would a crash cause it to burn the pump up if ran empty?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have one of the current model ZX-10R's, but would the tip over switch be affecting the bikes inability to start? This could be something to look at to make sure it's not causing issues.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
447 Posts
Yeah, my pump went out on the dyno last time at KWS. I'd see if it's something electrical first but don't be surprised if its the pump. Got a Busa pump in it now, not sure if it was a drop in replacement but Mike at KWS knows his stuff. Might not hurt to give them a call or swing by if you're in the Charleston area.

Reactions: wheelz96

·
Registered
710 Posts
Your problem reads like an interlock/electrical issue and not a fuel pump problem. Gen 4 here, but when my fuel pump doesn't even attempt to prime with key on - it is kill switch, kickstand down in gear, tip over, in gear clutch not in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tip over was first thing I checked at track and tested with volt meter all good. I have a jumper plug for kickstand(removed) switch and that tested OK. I will take actual switch apart first then follow wire back to pump. Strange it happened after running two laps before I heard the pump run dry.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
447 Posts
Tip over was first thing I checked at track and tested with volt meter all good. I have a jumper plug for kickstand(removed) switch and that tested OK. I will take actual switch apart first then follow wire back to pump. Strange it happened after running two laps before I heard the pump run dry.
Are you sure it was the pump sound you heard? Did you not have enough fuel?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure it was the pump sound you heard? Did you not have enough fuel?
Well I suppose I'm not positive but a fuel pump that runs dry has a very distinct sound and considering it doesn't work or prime anymore I am fairly certain that this is whats going on. It's either the circuit to the fuel pump or the pump itself. I will take it apart one day this week and find out.

P.S. Tank was almost full. It was only lap 2 :(

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well I suppose I'm not positive but a fuel pump that runs dry has a very distinct sound and considering it doesn't work or prime anymore I am fairly certain that this is whats going on. It's either the circuit to the fuel pump or the pump itself. I will take it apart one day this week and find out.

P.S. Tank was almost full. It was only lap 2 :(

Is the pump getting power? Have you put a meter on it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts