Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my 05 fuel pump is not priming all of the time when turning the ignition on. I always leave the kill switch on. Sometimes flipping the key on/off a few times will make it prime but lately I have to crank the engine over to hear the pump prime. So one tap of the starter, it primes and then another tap and it starts.

Anyone have this issue before?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, I had this problem a couple of years ago. I disassembled the right controls, cleaned a bunch of crap out of the stop switch using rubbing alcohol, put in fresh dielectric grease, and haven't had the problem since.

I do notice that if I leave the stop switch in the RUN position when the bike is off, sometimes the pump will not prime when the ignition key is turned to ON. I suspect its a behavior quirk of the ECU. If leave the stop switch in the OFF position, the fuel pump always primes after I turn on the ignition switch and flip the stop switch to ON.

The components that can cause the fuel pump to not run would be the starter relay, ECU, main relay, the vehicle down sensor, the fuel pump, and the stop switch. In your case I'd bet money its your stop switch, since you noted that you have to flip the switch a few times to get the pump to prime. If the problem persists, check the contacts on your starter relay at the end of the positive battery terminal and clean any corrosion. If the problem persists, then its time to take a look at the fuel pump itself.

Its unlikely to be your vehicle down sensor. If it was causing the problem, the ECU would cut power to the pump indefinitely, and you would have to flip the ignition switch OFF and ON to reset the ECU. The ECU is unlikely to cause this issue, you'd probably have other sensor problems if the ECU were going bad. This also goes for the main relay, its a stout part and I don't recall anyone needing to replace it. The pump rarely has intermittent power problems, its far more likely to completely die.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! That makes since that the kill switch could be corroded/dirty since I never use it. It's just kinda odd that the pump will prime once I engage the starter but not always and then sometimes it will prime by turning the ignition and or kill switch on/off.

I will try cleaning the switch and see what happens.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts