Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just became the proud owner of a gen 2 zx10r. Picked up Monday, 04/24. I got it for a great deal because the fuel pump was bad. So I just got my new pump in today, and I hook it up to the battery directly, it works with no issues. However, when I install it in the actual sending unit, nothing. I did a voltage test on the relay, and when I turn the IGN to "on", it shows 12v for 4 seconds, then drops to 0v just like it should according to the service manual. I've verified that voltage is reach the relay and positive wires on the housing. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is!!! I know the relay is good, and I know the pump is good, so the only explanation is the sending unit itself. I believe the issue is with the little metal cylinder on the top of the sending unit that connects to the relay wire. I don't know what it is, but I have a hunch it's a resistor. Do I need to replace the whole sending unit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Are you getting power for 4 seconds to the connector at the plug that plugs into the fuel pump assembly? If you are, then everything on the bike side of the harness is good.

I haven't had a gen 2 fuel pump sending unit apart but I've had a gen 1 sending unit apart a few times. The wires that lead from the connector to the various places inside the sending unit do not have idiot proof ends (because you're not supposed to take the sending unit apart). It is certainly possible to plug them into the wrong terminals. Do you have them connected correctly?

By the "little metal cylinder on top of the sending unit" - do you mean the fuel level sensor?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts