Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Fuel problem?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Blue08 
#1 ·
On my 08, Im having a bad sputter/hesitation at low rpm's (under 4k) where it feels like its bogging out and about to die. Seems like its getting worse and last time out id died on me twice pulling into my driveway. It seems like as the bike gets to temp, it starts doing it more. Ive ran MR12 3 times this year so far, and always suck it out and replace it with pump gas and let it run to flush it all out. I pulled the plugs and they look fine, but im going to try and replace them anyway just to see. My next area to look at will probably be the injectors. Anyway to pull them out and clean them myself, without sending them out to be cleaned? I saw the top 4 right when I was in pulling the plugs, are the bottom 4 just under the throttle bodies? The bike only has about 2,500 miles on it. Anyone else have any input or anything else they think it could be. It has a PCIII Dyno Tune by Ryan Schnitz for mr12 and pump gas, k&n race Filter, Brocks exhaust, secondaries remobed, ais removed. Its been running fine up until about two weeks ago. I did a search and found a lot of things were bad plugs. I also ran seafoam through it and rode about 15 miles pretty hard and didnt do anything. Heres what the plugs looked like. Again any input is appreciated. Im hoping new plugs fix it. dont really want to mess with injectors or a fuel pump.

See less See more
#5 ·
Do you mean all the hoses in the air box? I have not looked for any small cracks, that's a good idea I just made sure they were still all capped

Stupid questions first:

Have you unplugged the PC3 to rule it out?

How does it idle?

Air filter isn't clogged?

Have you confirmed you're getting 14 volts at 3000 RPM on the battery?

How old is your battery?

Do you get a lot of pop and backfire when decelerating at full closed throttle from 4000 to 2000 RPM?

Have you had a chance to reinstall your spark plugs and confirm the problem is still happening?
Ill listen to any stupid questions haha just want I get it figured out

I haven't unplugged the pc yet I will try that
It idles kinda rough,
My battery is maybe 3 years old, sits in the winter time indoors not on a charge, I'll check that I didn't even think about that.
It has popped a little bit recently I've noticed which had me thinking maybe a plug was bad and it wasn't burning all the fuel out of one of the cylinders. I'm on duty until tomorrow that's when I'm gonna get the new plugs and install and then go from there. Any other tips or past experience I'll listen to. And thanks guys!

#4 ·
Stupid questions first:

Have you unplugged the PC3 to rule it out?

How does it idle?

Air filter isn't clogged?

Have you confirmed you're getting 14 volts at 3000 RPM on the battery?

How old is your battery?

Do you get a lot of pop and backfire when decelerating at full closed throttle from 4000 to 2000 RPM?

Have you had a chance to reinstall your spark plugs and confirm the problem is still happening?

#6 ·
blue u running seperate pump and mr12 maps? pump on mr12 tune will foul plugs quickly. only bottom injectors operating at that rpm range. just had to replace plugs on one of our bikes, looked perfect but will fool u. not a fuel pump issue ripping thru high rpm's while stalling at low. start with plugs and clean primary lower injectors if necessary.

#7 ·
Thanks a lot gaz. Was hoping you would chime in. Yes two separate maps, and I did run pump gas on the mr12 tune like a jackass just to see how it would ride with it haha. I'll change them out tomorrow when I get home and hope that was them. Appreciate all he help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.