Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sound odd, but i am trying to find a way to perminately shut off the res. light. i am running an external fuel pump, and made a new plate for the bottom of the tank with just a feed and return line (ie: the sending unit and old pump are no longer in the tank). i have tried jumping the sending unit wire to ground and 12v with no luck, so i figure it must be a resistence issue. i also tried searching the forums but all i found was my old post. hopefully someone can help. thanks guys

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
maybe pop open your cluster and just clip the light connection and dont worry about a resistence issue.. or paint the bulb black with high temp paint so u cant see it flashing

·
Registered
235 Posts
My understanding of the res. lights is that they operate based on a sensor the simply reads "fuel/no fuel". this sensor would operate a normally open switch. the fuel acts as the conductor in the sensor and allows a very small amount of electricity to pass through, thus keeping the switch open. When the fuel level drops low enough, the sensor no longer has this "conductor" to transmit power so the switch then closes the circuit and the light comes on.

Have you tried just not connecting the sending unit wire to anything at all?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have thought about doing that, but i would rather try to do it the "right"ish way. nothing has been modded to far that it couldnt go back to stock, so i was hoping to find a resistor or something. kinda seems like i need to know what the sensor reads for power through fuel and feed it at that. as for leaving it just unplugged, it is right now and the light blinks. with it grounded or 12v powered it blinks as well. thanks though for the thoughts

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
how about opening the cluster and covering it with electrical tape... easy on, easy off

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do believe thats how im going to "fix" it if no one knows the right voltage/ resistance. we'll see i guess

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks though dean, but unfortunately, i dont have the pump here. but to be honest, i wasnt sure if it was a resistance change that caused it or if it acted more like a "yes/no" signal switch reading the voltage through the gas. does that make sence to you? what am i not seeing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts