Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not able to see the fuel gauge on my 10r 2014.
And its very necessary for me, as I tour with my bike.

So, any after market which does the job correctly and pushed to iPhone ?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,753 Posts
Im not able to see the fuel gauge on my 10r 2014.

And its very necessary for me, as I tour with my bike.

There is no fuel gauge on the 10R. Reset your trip meter every full up and go by the mileage to know about how long there is to empty. The low fuel light will start to come on around 110-120 miles depending on how you ride. There's no aftermarket fuel quantity indicators that I know of. It would have to be integrated into the fuel pump and tank assembly to do that. And certainly nothing that would link it to a mobile phone

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Damn... our life is becoming so damn i-phone-dependant. And why would you be looking at your iPhone while riding anyway?! What's next? A shittometer to tell you when is the next dump arriving so you can plan rest area stops accordingly LOL

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Joking aside... about 40 miles from when the fuel refill starts blinking is when you will run out of gas. I've never run out before but have ridden about 40 miles with light on to the next gas station

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe the low fuel light goes on when there is about 1 US gallon or so left in the tank. This is based on what has already been calculated to have been used by the ECU.

You can check how much its calculated fuel has already been used when you switch the different modes with the top button on the gauges. This coupled with how many miles on the tank and you get a very good idea how many miles/how long you can go on 1 tank of gas.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Speaking of fuel consumption. What's the fuel economy loss most guys have seen from going -1 +2???

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
They make caps like this for Harley's so they probably make them for all brands and styles of bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
They make caps like this for Harley's so they probably make them for all brands and styles of bikes.
even that cap requires a preexisting fuel gauge =(

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I would recommend learning your bike and the mileage you tend to get with the way you ride. Reset your trip and your gal consumed at every fill up and you'll get an idea of how far you can go

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
It's worked for me, 37k miles on my Gen4. Only ran out of gas 3 times haha...I was pushing it though and knew I was about to run dry

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have my display set to litres used, seems to work fairly accurately. I know how many litres a full tank is (17+) and I note how much I filled into it a the last fuel station.

Someone noted that the light comes on at about 1gal, makes sense to me, my light comes on with 6L remaining, so I guess that would be closer to 1.5gal

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have my display set to litres used, seems to work fairly accurately. I know how many litres a full tank is (17+) and I note how much I filled into it a the last fuel station.

Someone noted that the light comes on at about 1gal, makes sense to me, my light comes on with 6L remaining, so I guess that would be closer to 1.5gal

Exactly, you guys are not using your gallon meter.
I have a '13 zx10, the tank is 3.4 gallons.
Just reset your trip meter when you fill up and dont go past 3.4, its really easy.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Joking aside... about 40 miles from when the fuel refill starts blinking is when you will run out of gas. I've never run out before but have ridden about 40 miles with light on to the next gas station
Wondering if that's 40miles in the city or the highway or a combo? I've only been brave enough to go another 40km of highway (about 25miles) after the light came on. It's nice to know that I'm being overly cautious.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Exactly, you guys are not using your gallon meter.

I have a '13 zx10, the tank is 3.4 gallons.

Just reset your trip meter when you fill up and dont go past 3.4, its really easy.

The tank is 4.5 gal, when mine reads 3.7, that's the magic number and there better be a gas station within pushing distance if I see it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mine comes on at 3.5 used and I normally put 3.7-4 in when it reads 3.5 gallons. In regeared -1,+2. A friend of mine borrowed my bike when we went on a corvette cruise once when his car was in the shop. He asked how far it would go after the light comes on. I told him I think 40 miles but the most I've done is 35. He ran out at 37.that's the only tone my bike has ran out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Use the gallons used function. Tank is around 4.6 or so if I remember correctly. If you fill to the metal ring just below the cap, you go until 4.0 pretty much on the money. Never taken apart the tank before, but I imagine baffles and filter eat up some gas. Either way, at 3.5 light should come on. 3.8, find some shit pretty quick. 4.0, coast at 100+, which is what happened to me thinkin I could make it another .2 haha.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
The gal consumed gauge seems to become more inaccurate when modded so some read different, that's why I originally suggested to learn what YOUR bike does with the mods you have and how you ride.

My light comes on anywhere from 2.7 - 2.9 gal from various street riding paces. It will run out and shut off anywhere from 3.6 - 3.7 gal, unfortunately I learned that the hard way 3 times now in 36k miles of Gen4 ownership

·
Registered
232 Posts
here in OZ my 2012 is set to litres and the light comes on when theres approx. 5 litres left ( 1 us gal ) roughly. never run out I run -1 and stock rear as I tend to do a bit of highway and the extra 1000 rev at the speed limit with -1 was enough of a sacrifice to top end and fuel economy never pushed my luck on how far till it runs out so when the light comes on I'm looking for a fuel stop now not in 40 miles
pushing a bike wearing a cow is shit so why try for a case of heat stroke...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts