Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been thinking about this lately since my bike is up there in mileage.

When I had my ZX12, I had a fuel flow issue as I modded the bike. When it was warm out, the bike would run fine. As it got cooler, I would get to roughly 8-9k rpm and it would stop pulling hard. I had a wideband on it and the logs showed that it went from ~13:1 up to ~18:1 at a high TPS % and that rpm.

I added fuel to my map and it went away but I found I was making plus 15 and 20 adjustments which lead me to the fuel pump. After doing some research on the 12's pump flow, I found out that I was likely making just enough HP to lean the bike out when it was cooler out. Added a GSS242 pump by modding the pump bracket and all was well.

Fast forward to now and I was looking into the requirements to support a (at the crank) 190HP motor. Based on a 70%DC with 46PSI in the rail and .55 BSFC, it needs 37LB/Hr injectors. This equates to 24Gal/Hr from the pump. Someone please check this and verify that I am correct. :dontknow:

The pump I have in mind (as a precautionary measure) is the same pump I used in the ZX12. Walbro GSS242 which flows 40Gal/Hr at 40PSI and 36Gal/Hr at 50PSI.

I did a search and saw that someone mentioned the "Walbro mod" but nothing specific.

Any ideas? Planning to do this over the winter. TIA! :thumbsup:

ETA: DUH!!! http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42594&highlight=walbro

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just searched and found that stock injectors are 330cc/min which converts to just 31.5Lb/Hr. Using this calc: http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php4, I found that the stock injectors are running at 85%DC with 190 crank HP using .55 BSFC.

Now that I am sure the GSS242 will support anything I can throw at it, anyone know what the standard BSFC is for motorcycle engines?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
In the above link I used the gss342. its the 255L pump. I ran it on my 3 mill at 190hp without any issues. I also ran the same pump in my gsxr 1000 at 185 hp on e85 ethanol which required at least a 30% increase in fuel over pump gas to run properly.(just to give you an idea of the fuel flow capabilities)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the above link I used the gss342. its the 255L pump. I ran it on my 3 mill at 190hp without any issues. I also ran the same pump in my gsxr 1000 at 185 hp on e85 ethanol which required at least a 30% increase in fuel over pump gas to run properly.(just to give you an idea of the fuel flow capabilities)
I was thinking of going with the 242/250 because I didn't want to overwhelm the regulator with excess flow. But there is at most, 20 bucks between the two. If its worked for several people here, its a no brainer... Thanks!

·
Registered
860 Posts
The free mod that I did when switching to e85 was slightly crush the stock regulator and bumped the fuel pressure up from 44psi to 60psi. I did have to add a bunch of fuel for my setup. But, it might help you out rather than getting a whole new pump.

·
Registered
860 Posts
and if you run nos energy drink it'll run even better....
:crackup:

·
Registered
860 Posts
There are gains to be had if setup properly.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
What am I missing here? I've been hitting up the no ethanol gas station in town thinking less was better.:dontknow:

Whats with E85?
The normal 10% thats in pump gas wont effect you that much, e85 is 85% ethanol and 15% regular gasoline as jl said if properly setup it has its advantages. Only problem is its not available everywhere so some guys may not be able to get there hands on it.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
and if you run nos energy drink it'll run even better....
:crackup:
now thats funny!!!

So what are you talking about in gains with running e85? Any dyno numbers to share?

vince10r u sending out dyno #s in pms i would like one too

1 - 20 of 33 Posts