Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Service Manual the 2008+ Fuel Filter is not replaceable or cleanable. The service manual states if the filter becomes clogged you have to replace the entire pump assembly. WOW! 330.00$$$.

I managed to disassemble my pump and was shocked at what the filter looked like. Black as death. Looked like a well used tea bag. Inside of the pump housing looked pretty nasty also. I also discovered from a knowledgeable guy at the parts counter, Suzuki sells an exact replacement tea bag filter.

The pump is a little tricky to take apart with no instructions, but not too hard really. Its pretty simple after you figure it out.

So in with the new filter. $23.00 from Suzuki lol. Now I have a Gixxer part on my ZX10R.

With the pump assembly removed I also looked up inside my tank. Not a spec of rust or corrosion. I was shocked by that my 6 year old tank looked brand new inside.

Reassembled the pump and reinstalled in the tank and she fired right up!

Might be the Ethanol turning it black. dont know. :dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
thanks I see this on my winter list with the valve adjust

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well the problem is that the strainer isn't the actual filter,and it isn't the part that's restricting the fuel flow.

What you have to clean is the filter after the fuel pump and before the fuel pressure regulator.It's enclosed in the plastic housing that can't be opened,it can be cleaned but there is no guarantee it will work for a long time.

Some times it does some times it doesn't. It depends.Before you remove the fuel pump measure how much fuel it pumps over 10-20 seconds,to see if you are in the limit.

I'm sending you the pic of another pump I found on the internet just to give you an idea.I hope it makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I disassembled the entire pump, even removing the motor and taking it out. I separated the 2 plastic sections, saw no other filter. Got an actual picture of the part your talking about? That pic of that pump you posted doesn't look like mine.

If there is another filter it must be inside the metal motor?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what your saying is this fuel strainer is like the one on the oil pump you get to by taking off the oil pan, and the actual fuel filter like the oil filter is somewhere else?

If that's the case, (and I believe ya) I disassembled my entire pump for nothing, took a bath in gas for nothing.

Damn, ...........I am just a dumb gurl.

Sorry for posting inaccurate info. Nothing to worry about here folks. Carry on.

Sky, can you please delete this useless thread?

Thanks,

·
Registered
883 Posts
So what your saying is this fuel strainer is like the one on the oil pump you get to by taking off the oil pan, and the actual fuel filter like the oil filter is somewhere else?

If that's the case, (and I believe ya) I disassembled my entire pump for nothing, took a bath in gas for nothing.

Damn, ...........I am just a dumb gurl.

Sorry for posting inaccurate info. Nothing to worry about here folks. Carry on.

Sky, can you please delete this useless thread?

Thanks,
Yes,that's exactly how it is.The strainer is there to keep the large particles from clogging the fuel pump.The other filter is the one which protects the injectors,so it has to be able to fine-filter the fuel to do that. ( 60-100 microns I guess)

That's how the filter that's after the fuel pump looks like. This one is from a Z1000 fuel pump,but newer bikes will have something similar.

Some local folks have ( successfully) bypassed the inline filter by drilling some holes to it so that the pressurized fuel goes around it inside the housing,and then replaced it with an external automotive fuel filter. They even opened the housing that encloses it and took some photos before and after they cleaned it with soap and water...

I've cleaned one or two my self with "pure gasoline" and compressed air (I really don't know the English word for it but it's some sort of gasoline for cleaning purposes) whithout opening them up of course,and sometimes it seems to work fine.

If you let the fuel pump work with a clogged filter for a long time then you will to replace the pump it self,as it gets "tired".

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Good info. Balogiannis.....I currently have 3 fuel pumps I will be rebuilding this certainly helps.......you always bring good Info. Rep sent!!!

Bloo

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
yep, all the fi bikes are same with internal filter. it's the real culprit. soak in carb cleaner, surprising sometimes how much what comes out when backflushed.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How are you back flushing them? Can you reverse polarity of the pump and make it run backwards? Could the plastic housing just be cut, remove, clean, replace filter, and then repaire housing with JB Weld?

·
Registered
771 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts