Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm going on a charity ride in late September , the total distance is about 8500km/5300miles , wondering what the best fuel usage most of use manage ( I average 230km/142miles a tank 2008 zx10r) also what's the best lighting upgrade you guys recommend ( wanting to avoid HID for cost reasons, also how have you found your bike on long trips. Thanks in advance :notworthy:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
What costs is it that you're talking about with the HID's? They're generally pretty cheap. I've been using ddmtuning for a long time and never had any issues, and you can get a kit for less than $50

·
Registered
112 Posts
With regards to fuel mileage, You could raise your m.p.g. by changing gearing. Make your gearing taller by putting a smaller rear sprocket or larger front sprocket on. If you dont get too radical with the change, you might not have to worry about doing anything with the chain length. Take a small can of chain lube with you and keep your chain lubed too. Inflate your tires to factory recommended settings to help your mileage too. Start with a clean air filter. These are cheap and easy helps for you. Good luck with your trip....I'm jealous.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
You bought the wrong bike for long distance trips.

And HID is the best upgrade for the lighting. If you're not willing to drop the $50 for an HID kit, there's really no point in doing anything to them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
140+ miles a tank sounds pretty good. Just cruising on the highway should net you about 40 mpg, which is exactly 140 miles a tank from topped off to fuel light coming on(3.5 gal).

HID lights with proper projectors cost quite a bit and is the best option.
You can also spend about $50 for HID lights without projectors. Some people say that HID bulbs in halogen housing is bad juju. From what I've seen, the light itself is not bad, but it allegedly blinds oncoming traffic.
There might be conventional halogen bulbs out there that is better than OEM, but not sure about cost and whether it would be worth it.

For long trips, you want to make sure you have a comfy seat and remember to relax your forearms. It's generally been my experience that the OEM seat starts hurting the butt within a few hours of highway cruising.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You bought the wrong bike for long distance trips.

And HID is the best upgrade for the lighting. If you're not willing to drop the $50 for an HID kit, there's really no point in doing anything to them.
What HID kit with proper projectors costs 50 bucks? Putting an HID bulb in a reflector housing does nothing but scatter a bunch of light that the reflector can't focus. And blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
What HID kit with proper projectors costs 50 bucks? Putting an HID bulb in a reflector housing does nothing but scatter a bunch of light that the reflector can't focus. And blind oncoming traffic.
He just said HID kit, no one mentioned a kit w/projectors for 50...
While that may be true about scattering the light, it will still be brighter at night.

Got them on the 636 and they are way better than halogen bulbs, even with a reflector housing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With regards to fuel mileage, You could raise your m.p.g. by changing gearing. Make your gearing taller by putting a smaller rear sprocket or larger front sprocket on. If you dont get too radical with the change, you might not have to worry about doing anything with the chain length. Take a small can of chain lube with you and keep your chain lubed too. Inflate your tires to factory recommended settings to help your mileage too. Start with a clean air filter. These are cheap and easy helps for you. Good luck with your trip....I'm jealous.
Thanks everyone , I didn't buy my 10r for highway cruising I bought it because sport bikes are my love and I wouldn't swap it for another bike any day of the week. I haven't seen those HID bulbs for $50 , will have to check eBay , not to keen on changing gearing as the trips only a 14 day charity ride. I'd be jealous to haha

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,216 Posts
A projector retrofit would be the "best" way to do it, but cost prohibitive. The reasons you state above are true when replacing a dual-filament bulb with an HID. Typical H4 type dual filament bulbs have a built-in cut-off shield in them for the low beam. Replacing that with a 360-degree bulb like an HID lamp causes too much light scatter.

But the Gen 4 uses H7 single filament bulbs and the reflector housing is what keeps the light focused for the high and low beams. BOTH headlights use the same H7 bulb. The angle and cut of the reflector housing behind it is what makes it a high and a low beam based on the beam pattern. Replacing an H7 with an HID bulb that has the same light pattern causes no more "scattering" or blinding of oncoming traffic.

Thanks everyone , I didn't buy my 10r for highway cruising I bought it because sport bikes are my love and I wouldn't swap it for another bike any day of the week. I haven't seen those HID bulbs for $50 , will have to check eBay , not to keen on changing gearing as the trips only a 14 day charity ride. I'd be jealous to haha
ddmtuning.com has the cheapest and best HID kits for under $50 that are not the unknown eBay specials. They are highly recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts