Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent owned a kwak in years and had the pleasure of doing a few things to my 10 today.I did alot of cursing and knuckle banging and all I did was a sparkplug change and put on blockoff plates...I usually like to work on my bikes but this was kinda a pain.I guess it should be easier next time but i'm sure not looking forward to it.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I feel ya man, just did that this weekend. You have to take off the frame brackets to get to the outer plugs!:BangHead:
I didn't do the block-off plates though. Just gonna stick a marble into a hose and get the same results.

·
Registered
678 Posts
They suck bad. Well not terrible when you have the right tools. My friend had my set of open end wrenches. So I had to use the tine 14mm out of the kit. Not fun!!! I feel your pain my friend

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I don't know what I'd do without my retractable magnet.
After everytime I was finished tightening up a plug, I'd have to disconnect the extension so I could have clearance to pull it out. Then put the magnet in there and grab the spark plug socket

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Man I hate to do this maintenance but I guess I have to, huh...is it really that much of a PITA?

·
Registered
678 Posts
It is not that bad if you got the tools. Its not like a car pop the hood pull the plug type of deal. In all honesty some metric dog bones would be the shiznit to get for it. For the motor mounts

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I actually used the dooohickey out of the kit and it is pretty easy

Dooohickey? I have one of those too! And a Watchamacallit and a Gonkulator. They all helped me when I changed my plugs..:badteeth:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Done my plugs in maybe 2 hrs. Amazing what a magnet, and a 3/8 piece of hose can do.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Man I heard about a watchamacallit. Wish I had on. I sure did hungry while I did my plugs that candy bar would have helped. Now a Gonkulator wish I had one of those

Dooohickey? I have one of those too! And a Watchamacallit and a Gonkulator. They all helped me when I changed my plugs..:badteeth:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man I hate to do this maintenance but I guess I have to, huh...is it really that much of a PITA?
It sucked..I even had to fight to get the coils off of the plugs.then to top it all off, I cross treaded one of the bolts on the bracket....But its done and ready to ship up to ivans to get a custom tune as soon as the wheather breaks.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
3/8 ratchet, about 3 different size extensions, a 4'' piece of hose to put plugs back in, anti seize, 10 mm socket, 6mm allen socket, torx bit for dampner, phillips screw driver, needle nose pliers, 5/8 plug socket, magnet, patience.
Remove dampner, side panels, seat, tank, side panels, interior panels, unplug left side of harness, remove engine plates on each side of frame, pull wiring to coils, pull coils ( coils on outer sides have to come out tilted forward and kinda to the side), I used wobble extentions for removing the plugs. You can use either the magnet or hose to fish out the plugs. Put antiseize on the plugs. Push the plug in the hose. Put plug in head.
GOOD LUCK!

·
T Double D
870 Posts
dont know if you still have it but the tool that comes in the tool kit is a life saver when it comes to this horrible task makes it a task

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could you clarify just a bit. I gotta do my plugs soon and I want to be prepaired.
Have the suicide prevention hotline on speed dial.

It's far more work than it should be for some frickin spark plugs. I invented a few new swear words that day. I'm not looking forward to a valve adjustment because all the same shit has to come off to get at the valve cover. It's not just the frame brackets either? You can only get a partial turn on those frame bracket bolts at a time too? The airbox is also tightly wedged in there and only comes off one way (twist it). The whole bike is so tightly packaged that it's hard to imagine what it's like working on the ZX10 assembly line. I'd quit that job before lunch on my first day.

Oh, the plugs are hideously expensive too. I dropped $60 on 4 of em. Ouch.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Oh, the plugs are hideously expensive too. I dropped $60 on 4 of em. Ouch.
O'reilly's had them for $8.49 a piece! STOCK REPLACEMENT NGK IRIDIUM!
The cheaper brand was $1.99ea

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
could i buy the plugs at a car store like napa or adnvance auto parts if so what are the specs?
For my Gen1, this is the plug cyclegear gave me.

NGK Laser Iridium Premium
CR9EIA-9

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
dont know if you still have it but the tool that comes in the tool kit is a life saver when it comes to this horrible task makes it a task
finished my plugs today and that little tool in the tool bag was a life saver...took me maybe 30 min...that's after everything was prepped

1 - 20 of 27 Posts