Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cornering, and this is obviously more pronounced at low speeds, the front wheel wants to turn in more than I'd like. I seem to have to use more force to counter steer than I want. Should I chalk this up to stock tires, or could it be a suspension issue?

Bike: '06
My weight: about 200 lbs with gear on

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
620 Posts
When cornering, and this is obviously more pronounced at low speeds, the front wheel wants to turn in more than I'd like. I seem to have to use more force to counter steer than I want. Should I chalk this up to stock tires, or could it be a suspension issue?

Thanks for any help!
Have the same problem. I'm thinking the stock tires getting worn out or something.:dontknow:
But high speed cornering goes smoot like silk, so I don't really care about it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bought this bike about 2 weeks ago. Turns out the rebound dampening settings were not equal on the right & left forks. I evened them out and it's 10x better.

Should have been my first check.:redface: :redface:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

Thanks for any help!

Well one fun thing you can do is get a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's mounted, and experience them. Also, have you set the sag/pre-load for your weight/includes all your riding gear? The chassis set-up and real tires are top priority, and have to be done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just bought this bike about 2 weeks ago. Turns out the rebound dampening settings were not equal on the right & left forks. I evened them out and it's 10x better.

I've found that my comp/rebound setting in the forks frequently get out of sync. I'm not sure why this happens but I recalibrate them about once a month. Usually they are the same, but every once in a while I'll find that the right side is a few clicks off from the left side.

very wierd, and yes I found this out because I was experinceing some wierd handling and decided to change up my suspension...godd thing because the 1st time I noticed the right side was WAY (like 5 clicks) off the left side.

anyway, I would do a full suspension checkup on your bike. Front and rear, making sure to start at the factory baseline then ride it for a week and see how it feels. I keep a log of my settings and how they change overtime and this seems to help make it easy when it does come time to do the next adjustment.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Maybe I should check the comp/rebound too, I've never touch these settings and its all new to me. Which of the adjustment screws are what on the forks?

·
Registered
39 Posts
definitely set your suspension front and rear as close to ur weight as possible and definitely lost the crappy stock dunlops. ive used both a set of racetecs and now at present supercoarser IIIs medium softs set at 34lbs frt 36lbs rr. i reside in west coast fl and they work great. nite and day compared to stock. u might have to adjust psi accordingly to climate though. good luck and rubber side down

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I should check the comp/rebound too, I've never touch these settings and its all new to me. Which of the adjustment screws are what on the forks?
The ones that were off are the ones you adjust with a flathead screwdriver. I would think those would be the most likely to be off, since they're easiest for people to mess with on the sales floor. Count the clicks until you get to the end range of motion. Make sure both are even.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jazz -

Please dont go into suspension tunning blindly. I strongly recomend having a professional go through the bike for the minimal suspension setup.

I knew nothing about suspension and had RACETECH do their $35 once over on the bike. The tech explained what he was doing, where the adjustments were made and why he made them.

Afterwards I did some research here at zx-10r.net and found many posts on suspension. I took time out of my day to read these posts and learn as much as I could about what the heck to do with my suspension.

That was a while back, and now I think I have a good grasp on what to do to my bike in order to get it to handle a specific way.

Please, take some time and read up on the subject, and possibly do the RACETECH thing.

After tires, the best money and time spent on your motorcycle is the suspension.

good luck jazz

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yep!

That's what I've heard as well!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I had suspension sagged and pair of Diablo Corsa III much better handling. Tires makes a difference too, different manufacturer different profile and grip. I like the DC III much narrower than stock DQ so it turns quicker.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tires definitely make a difference. No argument here. I'll get rid of the stocks once I'm done with 'em. Just saying that the suspension was the issue in my case.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well heck yes it off. Usually set up for a little asian fella that weighs about 160 w/gear.

Sure makes a diff. when its set correct, and new tires help a load as well.

·
Registered
973 Posts
All of the above....

Everyone has good advice on this forum, I love it!!

My novice advice is to get a GPR damper, Check tire pressure and/or get Michelin Pilot Powers...All the suspension stuff I don't know enought about to comment.

·
Registered
973 Posts
HOw...

did you even out your fork pressure??:heyyou:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts