Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a ‘12 zx10r for the track and going through everything to be sure the bike is good to go. One of the things needing attention were the tires, so off with the wheels.

I checked the service manual just to be sure about the front wheel since I’ve never removed the wheel on a Kawasaki before. The process seemed pretty straight forward except for the fact that the manual said to loosen the left side (when seated on bike) axle clamp bolts and axle bolt after removing the wheel and axle.

What is the point of this if the wheel is already off the bike? Can I just leave the left side clamp bolts and axle bolt alone?
AD95BB8F-BC26-43E7-A187-BFEC74F0EEED.jpeg

·
Registered
630 Posts
When I remove the wheels I put the bike on a stand, then loosen both side pinch bolts and I have 2 motion pro axle tools I use to get the nut loose. No need to remove the lower fairings either, at least I never have.

Then when I put on the front wheel I do this after finding a process on a different forum. I used to just throw the wheel back on and not do a specific process every time and when I checked my front end had a lot of drag. After doing this process my drag has been reduced a good bit. Take it for what it's worth. Before installing I also make sure the axle is centered in both of the fork legs as well as I've read that is the best way to do it vs the top as sometimes forks can be off just slightly in length.

Install front wheel and torque to spec
Install calipers and torque to spec - try to make sure pads are centered in caliper
Pump brakes
Drop front end off stand and bounce a few times
Lift bike back up
torque pinch bolts on actual axle
torque pinch bolts on nut

This was supposed to be done with no weight on the forks as well. So either a head lift style stand or use a jack.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,222 Posts
You shouldn't leave the nut in there with it clamped with the axle removed. The proper procedure is to remove that so when you reinstall the axle, the nut it put on and tightened to to the axle to get it set right and aligned before it is then clamped. If it was supposed to remain in there, then the engineers would've just threaded the fork stanchion itself. That nut should not be treated as a captive threaded area. It should be removed each time. It takes a few seconds to loosen the clamps and pop it out. For installation, it's easier to put the axle in and go through the wheel bearings and then put the nut on after. So you have to take it out before you can do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You shouldn't leave the nut in there with it clamped with the axle removed. The proper procedure is to remove that so when you reinstall the axle, the nut it put on and tightened to to the axle to get it set right and aligned before it is then clamped. If it was supposed to remain in there, then the engineers would've just threaded the fork stanchion itself. That nut should not be treated as a captive threaded area. It should be removed each time. It takes a few seconds to loosen the clamps and pop it out. For installation, it's easier to put the axle in and go through the wheel bearings and then put the nut on after. So you have to take it out before you can do that.

Oh that’s a good point. I left the bolt and clamp bolts still tight on the fork leg when I dropped it off at the suspension guy :confused: probably won’t get the fork back for another week.. do you think I should replace the left side nut or is there something I can do to ensure I didn’t cause any damage?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,222 Posts
Oh that’s a good point. I left the bolt and clamp bolts still tight on the fork leg when I dropped it off at the suspension guy :confused: probably won’t get the fork back for another week.. do you think I should replace the left side nut or is there something I can do to ensure I didn’t cause any damage?
That nut is reuseable. As long as you don't cross-thread it on the axle putting it back in, then it will be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok got it. I'll be sure to remove it prior to installation. Thanks SkyDork!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts