Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure I've removed all the necessary screws and bolts to get the front upper fairing off. However, it won't come off.

I believe the the upper two wellnuts for the windscreen (the windscreen is removed) have swelled up enough that even with the screws removed, the wellnuts are "locked" into the dashboard and won't let the cowling come free.

Any suggestions for how to convince the two wellnuts to let go?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I ran into the same problem myself, and I decided (Not to say it is the right way) to just pull them out of the wellnut. I was not able to get the wellnut to seat back over the fairing, but I just used plastic washers there and the windscreen seemed to hold it in place nicely. If other people chime in I would like to know if there is a better route as well.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Yes, the wellnuts are designed to expand to hold them in place once the screw is tightened. The ones you're referring to hold the windscreen and upper fairing together. Once the windscreen is off, feed the upper part of the wellnut (the exposed part over the plastic) down through the hole in the fairing by pinching it with your finger and pushing it through the fairing hole. This will free the fairing from the bike. Then once the fairing is off remove the wellnut by twisting it as you pull out.

Once you have the wellnuts out of the fairing mount you can reinstall them on the fairing itself. Then you can reinstall the fairing.

Again, they are designed to be expanded or crushed once tightened to hold them in place. And over time they hold that shape. But they can be reused, it just takes some force, twisting, and some spit to lube them up. I've done this several times.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, the wellnuts are designed to expand to hold them in place once the screw is tightened. The ones you're referring to hold the windscreen and upper fairing together. Once the windscreen is off, feed the upper part of the wellnut (the exposed part over the plastic) down through the hole in the fairing by pinching it with your finger and pushing it through the fairing hole. This will free the fairing from the bike. Then once the fairing is off remove the wellnut by twisting it as you pull out.

Once you have the wellnuts out of the fairing mount you can reinstall them on the fairing itself. Then you can reinstall the fairing.

Again, they are designed to be expanded or crushed once tightened to hold them in place. And over time they hold that shape. But they can be reused, it just takes some force, twisting, and some spit to lube them up. I've done this several times.
Well that makes a lot of sense, because one of them kept spinning when I tried putting the screw back in with the wellnut not attached to the faring. I am going to try to re-install the fairing now and hopefully I have better luck! :biggrin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Excellent idea! Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts