Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next question...

I have a 2005 636 for track. What is the usual procedure for upgrading the front suspension? I looked for Ohlins forks, but what I found on the Ohlins website was only cartridges and springs.

Does that mean that the way to upgrade forks is to replace some of the fork components with aftermarket parts, or should I keep looking for a complete set of forks?

I mentioned that it's 636, because the upgrade may depend on the actual bike model.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You can give RaceTech a call or look on their website. They can take care of you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with the bike. You can do a 20mm kit which replace some of valving in the forks. I run GP suspension 25 mm kit which replaces the entire guts of the forks ohlins has the same kit. Gives you way more adjustment. It basically makes your forks equievelment to ohlins R/T forks. Most racer use the 25mm kit because it's supersport legal. Sorry I can't be more technical I'm just the dummy that sits on the bike my supension guy adjusts and builds according to my input. :)

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on what you want to do with the bike.
I was told that the stock suspension on the 636 is, hmm.. "lacking". In particular the rear shock. I ordered an Ohlins shock, but I couldn't find any simple solution for the front.

What I want is to get my bike up to a decent level for track riding. It's a dedicated track bike, so I'm not too worried about adding "race-only" components. I'm planning to do as many track days as I can, develop techinque, speed, etc., etc. The suspension was the first thing that was suggested (or even "recommended") to me by advanced riders, so I want to take care of it next.

Sorry I can't be more technical I'm just the dummy that sits on the bike my supension guy adjusts and builds according to my input. :)
I used P1 Racing on the track, but other than that, I guess I am my suspension guy.. lol

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I had my 05 636 forks redone and they are great. Cartridges only replace the internals. If you can get them for a good deal get them. I had mine revalved, re sprung, ohlins piston kit and a couple of other little things and they are great. Not as good as R/T but considering it was half the price is more than half as good as far as feel.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Just doing internals is fine. I have the stock fork externals and traxxion dynamics AK-20's for the full cartridge internals. They are a huge upgrade...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Full ohlins forks are a waste of money. The R&T forks use a 25mm cartridge kit so you can save money and just get a 25mm cartridge kit for your specific bike.

If you don't want to get that spendy you can get a set of Ohlins prings and a piston kit for about $400. Or if you're lucky, the OEM springs will be the right spring rate for you and you can just get a Piston kit for a bit over $200.

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Full ohlins forks are a waste of money. The R&T forks use a 25mm cartridge kit so you can save money and just get a 25mm cartridge kit for your specific bike.
I looked at the prices and the 25mm kits are nearly 2x as expensive as 30mm kits, and the 30mm kits are supposedly better (?). Still, it was around $1000 even for the 30mm kit. Yeah, the $400 solution would probably be just fine for me. I'm not even sure what the shortcomings of the stock forks are.

I guess I'll ask the suspension guys on the track exactly what parts they recommend (like what length springs, etc.). I'm a bit wary of buying and replacing parts in the forks, since I don't quite understand how all the parameters influence the final performance...

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can give RaceTech a call or look on their website. They can take care of you.
I found their spring rate calculator and they even have something close to what the optimal rate was. Are their springs good? How about their valve kits?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
In the past and have used RaceTech and GMD Computrack
http://gmd-computrack.com/
but am currently just running the RT springs and valves and they work great for me. traxxion dynamics is also a good place to look as bird_dog0347 said. i think more importantly is getting whatever suspension you have (stock,slightly upgraded,fully modded out) dialed in to your weight and riding style. even a stock suspension that is set up right will handle and feel 10x better than an upgraded set that were done and just thrown on a bike. good luck though and have fun out there!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
My suggestion is if you don't have a real suspension technician you should stop trying to do it yourself and find one asap...The shit is very complicated and its very important that it gets done and set up properly.

A more basic setup would be to get a valve kit, like the racetech gold valve kit.

A nicer option would be to get the ohlins or ak 20 cartridge kit.

A suspension expert will also know things/tricks to make the 636 handle better that you and I do not know. An example is on my GSXR600 stock ride height is not optimal and fork cap extenders are needed for additional ride height.

I'm just saying...

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My suggestion is if you don't have a real suspension technician you should stop trying to do it yourself and find one asap...The shit is very complicated and its very important that it gets done and set up properly.
My suspension-related activities are generally limited to maintenance and upgrades. I haven't tried turning any knobs yet... Like I said, I used P1 Racing at the track.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had P1 racing revalve my stock forks with the Ohlins piston kit and new Ohlins replacement springs for my weight and it works like a champ. Brandon knows what he's doing and they are a Ohlins certified dealer. Can't wait for the first CMRA race weekend at Texas World Speedway on March 29. Are you going to be at the Friday March 28 LSTD track day? If so, see you then. I'm the one who does the technical inspections with LSTD.

·
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was the guy who had a dangling cable that I promised to zip tie (which I did). :)
My bike is the orange one in the background.

I signed up for the next track day on Friday. I'm planning to attend all of them (unless something comes up).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts