Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I installed a new 16t front sprocket and noticed that the chain had some side-to-side play in it. Is this a problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Greetings,

I installed a new 16t front sprocket and noticed that the chain had some side-to-side play in it. Is this a problem? Thanks in advance for the help.
it can be.

When a chain/sprocket setup is purchased they should be the same config, ie 520, 525, 530 etc but even then there is a minor amount of side-side play(perhaps 1-2mm) but lets say we have a 520 sprocket with a 530 chain the side -side play or the gap may be 5mm which is not recommended.

BD

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just purchased the sprocket alone...didn't think about the chain. The side-to-side is really not that much. I'll do some measuring and see how much there is. What is the danger limit? Also, do you know what the stock size chain is?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Stock is 530, you probably got the wrong sprocket.

mmmmmm no the OEM sprockets & chain from 04 to present are the 525 variety and typically owners will either stay with that size or use a 520.

BD

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
How much side-to-side is acceptable? What is the danger of having too much?
I'm not sure about limits but you shouldn't have but a smidgen. I'd say 2 millimeters or so. I'd take it back off and get a caliper to measure the width and then call the factory or look up to see the width on a 520 and 525 size sprocket. You definitely don't want to mix that with your chain size. If it is mixed up and you run it, you will wear your chain and sprocket out quicker plus risk breaking your chain after a while.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great site. Thanks for sending it. I will do some research and measuring to make sure I'm ok to ride.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Let us know what you find out. Hopefully its the right sprocket. However it could be time for a new chain. What kind of mileage is on that chain now?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just found my receipt and it is a 520 sprocket. Looks like I need a different sprocket or different chain. What do you recommend. I wil be doing some track days come spring. What would be a better option for me. I look forward to your advice.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
People swap to a 520 for less rotational mass. However I say stick with the 525. Its not going to make a huge difference with a 520 unless you are running top speed trials. I say keep the 525 so that things hold up better. You won't go through chains/sprockets as much. Also your chain doesn't have many miles on it so you could probably get away with keeping it. I would suggest a new chain eventually but I'd wait until you buy a new rear sprocket. Aftermarket chains don't have to be adjusted nearly as much.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
People swap to a 520 for less rotational mass. However I say stick with the 525. Its not going to make a huge difference with a 520 unless you are running top speed trials. I say keep the 525 so that things hold up better. You won't go through chains/sprockets as much. Also your chain doesn't have many miles on it so you could probably get away with keeping it. I would suggest a new chain eventually but I'd wait until you buy a new rear sprocket. Aftermarket chains don't have to be adjusted nearly as much.
:iamwithst :spit: :+1:

BD

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've never used a vortex sprocket so I'm not sure the comparison. Be sure to get a STEEL countershaft sprocket. It will last longer.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I've never used a vortex sprocket so I'm not sure the comparison. Be sure to get a STEEL countershaft sprocket. It will last longer.
:+1:

I've never used Sunstar so couldn't compare to the Vortex but never had problems w/ the one I had on my 6R. I'd check into it though they've got lots of new types of sprockets and everything that might suit your needs.

I'm not sure of the manufacturer or materials but I know that there is a sprocket w/ I believe aluminum middle and steel teeth to decrease weight and improve sprocket life. Little research you can probably find it. Not sure how much they run though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a steel Sunstar yesteday. We'll see what it's like when it arrives. Again, thanks for sharing from your widsom and experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts