Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '04 that's been neglected for the last few years. I finally pulled it out of the garage, swapped the fluids and tires, and took it back to the track. It had been sitting mostly unused since we moved in 2008 with only 3k (mostly track) miles on it.

After my second session, I remembered that I had purchased a 16T front sprocket and never installed it ...

I've got another track day coming up on Sunday and I'd like to make sure I have the tools I need for a swap.

What size is the nut holding on the front sprocket? (Part #92210-1098) I've seen both 27mm and 32mm, but in pictures the nut appears to be 4-sided. What size or 4 or 8 point socket will fit?

It should be OK to reuse the lock washer, right? I've done it in the past on other bikes but I'd like to be sure.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
27mm and you should be fine reusing the washer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
Welcome!

Glad to hear you're trying to bring it back to life again! The front sprocket is double-shouldered so you can use either. Most use the 27mm though. The larger, outer shoulder area provides more torque to loosen it.

Both shoulder areas are 6-point, like any other nut. Six point socket would be better in terms of possibly not rounding it off, but either the 6 or 12 point socket will work. You just won't get as much torque with the 12-point one. Not sure where you saw it as a 4-point. :dontknow:

The lock washer can be reused a couple of times. Each time it is peened over though weakens the metal and it will fail after a few times.

If it hasn't been off before, it is lock-tighted on from the factory and you'll need a big old breaker bar or impact gun to break it loose the first time. Not something I'd want to do at the track. Make sure you can get it loosened up and off before you go to the track. Once you're there, hand tools should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!

Glad to hear you're trying to bring it back to life again! The front sprocket is double-shouldered so you can use either. Most use the 27mm though. The larger, outer shoulder area provides more torque to loosen it.
Thanks for the detailed response! I've got a 27 and 32 in my toolbox, though I'm not sure the 32 is deep enough. (I think I needed them for the axles on my ZX-7R. I miss that bike ...)

Not sure where you saw it as a 4-point.
Image search showed me this, and the parts catalog looks similar too.

I was at The Ridge on the 16th and back out there yesterday, the 22nd. It's not an especially fast track which left me feeling like I was in the wrong gear, either too tall or too low for about half the turns. Turn 13 needs to be in 1st with the stock gearing, and I'm just not quick enough on the shifter to get into 2nd for 14/15/16 so I'm hitting the front straight in 1 which affects top speed.

I left the part at home, since I figured I didn't want to mess with it at the track and I didn't have time to do it on my own beforehand. I was pitted across from some guys who had a full setup of tools (including impact wrench) who said they'd have helped between sessions. Oh well.

The only other "problem" I'm having with the bike right now is the suspension. I got into power lifting, and I'm about 30 lbs heavier than when I bought the bike. The stock springs were great at 180 lbs, not so much at 210. So now I have to decide if I go with a revalve or cartridges in front and a new shock in back, or try to convince the wife that spending $2500 on an old bike is silly and that I'd be safer on a newer bike with traction control and other electronics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts